What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Advice

Alright, ladies and gents. I might be getting ahold of some Cephalotus seeds. Give me any advice you can offer in terms of germination, substrate, care, etc. I want to know as much as possible before I start this so that I can give them the best possible care. :)

I've already read those. I hoping some people in here can provide even more thorough advice, especially regarding what works for them.

Thanks. It seems like I can provide all of the conditions listed without any trouble.

I have my Cephalotus growing well in the following conditions:

Soil: 2 parts perlite, 1 part peat, 1 part sand. Allows for a very well drained soil.

Watering: keep it moist to wet, but well drained.

Light: grows successfullly in any light. Shady, full sun, partial light, etc.

Temps: Mine grow in the 80s and are quite happy.

I've been seeing that mixture (or something close to it) on a lot of different sites. When you say "moist to wet," do you mean that you water it daily? Every other? Also, do you keep your Ceph in a terrarium or out in the open? Indoors or out? (Sorry. Lots of questions.)

If you're in Los Angeles you can probably grow them outdoors all year round. I've grown mine on a east facing windowsill for three years. I moved it outdoors because it hasn't flowered yet. Probably the winter temperatures aren't cold enough indoors. I would have put them outdoors last if it were not a mealybug problem with the outdoors plants. I top water daily, occasionally (once or twice a month) I'll fill the tray with 1-2 cm of water and let it dry before top watering again. And I water the crowns on some of the smaller growing points. No choice really until I repot and divide.

_IGP0649.jpg

_IGP0659.jpg

Other people in the LACPS grow theirs outdoors, in greenhouses, or indoors either under lights or in a tank under lights.

Here's what Peter (pingman) has to say:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112385

Aha! I didn't realize you were from LA! I was hoping there would be another person in LA who could give me advice... someone in the same micro-climate, as it were. Soooo... what soil mixture do you use? I know Cephs like light, so do you think I could grow it in a southwest window? It gets quite a few hours of good sun.

Edit: By the way, your Ceph looks great. :)

wonder what the minimum winter temp for flower initiation is. Or is it chilling hours like stone fruits. If it is in the 40's I might have problems. We have not had too many nights in the 40s for the past few years now......

I dunno, average lowest winter temperature around Albany is 8.1°C (46.6°F).
http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/cw_009500_All.shtml

There are dozens of microclimates around Los Angeles - just a zip code zone apart can make a difference. Refer to the Sunset climate zones for better detail:
http://www.sunset.com/garden/climate-zones/sunset-climate-zone-los-angeles-area-00418000067298/

Or this snazzy interactive version of the USDA plant hardiness zone map:
http://www.plantmaps.com/usda_hardiness_zone_map.php

Being about a mile from the ocean puts me in hardiness zone 11a (or adjusted to 10b) and Sunset zone 24.

Cephalotus don't seem to require massive amounts of sunlight, unlike Sarracenia. It depends on how you want to grow them - more light more color (red) smaller pitchers. Less light less color bigger pitchers. The east facing windowsill gets 2-3 hours of direct sunlight daily but since the building next door is painted white fairly bright reflected light in the afternoons.

Mix is similar to the "Charles Brewer" recipe documented on some of the sites referred to above. Plant is still in the same pot as when I got it.

Last edited:
wonder what the minimum winter temp for flower initiation is. Or is it chilling hours like stone fruits. If it is in the 40's I might have problems. We have not had too many nights in the 40s for the past few years now......
I was pretty surprised by NaN's lack of flowering since I figured it was more of a photoperiod thing. My 'outdoor' Cephs flower every year (summer outside w/ Sarrs & winter in basement under lights - low in 40's). This spring, my 1st indoor plant sent up two spikes and it never saw temps below the 50's (& possibly low 60's). In hindsight, I suspect the reason I'd not had flowers on inside plants was that I rarely allow any of them to get large enough before sending them to others. This plant was a little unique as I was conducting an experiment with it - so I kept it longer than usual.

I was pretty surprised by NaN's lack of flowering since I figured it was more of a photoperiod thing. My 'outdoor' Cephs flower every year (summer outside w/ Sarrs & winter in basement under lights - low in 40's). This spring, my 1st indoor plant sent up two spikes and it never saw temps below the 50's (& possibly low 60's). In hindsight, I suspect the reason I'd not had flowers on inside plants was that I rarely allow any of them to get large enough before sending them to others. This plant was a little unique as I was conducting an experiment with it - so I kept it longer than usual.

i guess i might need to look into that also. Maybe it needs to hit critical mass/size before it will flower. My largest one should be about there. Have always wondered if our days do not get short enough or that it doesn't get cold enough. Over night in the 30-40 still get back to the 60s eventually

Give me any advice you can offer

Alright, here is my advice for you: DON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!

I find Cephalotus easy to keep, and I mean Cephalotus plants.

But for me it's a thing of impossibility to grow them from seeds.

D. hamiltonii, which grows near/around Cephalotus need a cold winter to flower. I haven't been about to get my outdoors D. hamiltonii to flower either.

Mine seems to flower after getting winter night temps of about 48f for a few months.

And as for soil mix, I use a mix of equal parts peat/sand/perlite/charcoal..I use the tray method and keep water about 1/3 the way up the pot.

I am also in hardiness zone 11 and sunset zone 24. ... for what that's worth. Has anyone here had any luck growing Cephs from seed?

I am also in hardiness zone 11 and sunset zone 24. ... for what that's worth. Has anyone here had any luck growing Cephs from seed?

Not yet..but Rball apparently got one of my seeds to sprout.

Has anyone here had any luck growing Cephs from seed?
Germinating Cephalotus seeds seems to have some art mixed in with the science (& maybe some luck) as I've noticed that may growers have difficulty getting germination. That was why I included one of the 2 links above as the link had someone who had great germination.

Since so many people have difficulty, around 4 years ago, I took some of my seeds and planted them in an existing Cephalotus pot (around the edge) - just to see if any would sprout for me. A little over half of the seeds sprouted ( 4-5 iirc). As expected, they grow quite slowly. Over the past few years, I've given (or traded away) all but one of them - the last one to go - in the NASC Auction. I have one left that I hope will flower next year...

Back