What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph vid Coal mine beach

Status
Not open for further replies.
We may declare ourselves to be conservationists - to want to preserve their natural environments and yet each and every one of us who keeps plants in terrariums, greenhouses and windowsills is a collector; poaching by proxy and helping sustain the illegal harvest of plants by creating the demand for them. The world at large doesn't know about cephalotus, only a small percentage of people who are interested in CPs. We need to point the finger back at us and admit that we create the problem that we profess to be against. Once we accept this, we can hopefully start to come up with answers on how to make the natural sites available to all and instill in people the desire to be satisfied with admiring without needing to possess.

Could not have put it better myself, thank you for putting into words what I could not. My thoughts after thinking about this for a while is that people who are in the business of poaching for profit will find these sites no matter what anyway. I believe the benefit of education through these videos outweighs the risk. I also think the high price for cephalotus encourages poaching because these are not rare in cultivation, can puchase easily for a hefty price...and maybe this is what should be addressed as one means to protect them in the wild.

Last edited:
I think that we need to mass TC so many cephalotus that we can sell them for 5.99 a pound. That should put any poachers out of business...

I think that we need to mass TC so many cephalotus that we can sell them for 5.99 a pound. That should put any poachers out of business...
Populations of native VFTs have shown that this is not true... ???

Agreed, We have to try to conserve these places but we should also be able to admire them.

Last edited:
Populations of native VFTs have shown that this is not true... ???

Good point, but still I think it plays a factor.

My brother lives down in the area where VTFs grow and he says the local people poach them to sell at roadside stands to tourists along with produce and whatever.

"Elitist" attitude? It's not a case of "ha ha I was there but you can't go". Rather it is concern after witnessing first hand the results of poaching as confirmed by the local guides. And while the Darlingtonia sites mentioned are well known they are also in well traveled areas and monitored by various government agencies. This does not seem to be the case with the Cephalotus site in question. In addition increased human activity is likely to accelerate the collapse of this area as people tramp along the cliff side margins, try to scramble up the face for better views of less accessible plants or trail blaze entry points. As far as I know this site was one of the field trips offered at the 2008 ICPS conference so anybody who attended the conference and had the time and/or money could have participated.

I would be far more concerned with the "elitist" collectors who keep prices high by restricting supply. The higher the price the more temptation or reward from poached plants. There are even collectors who will go so far as to have the plants collected to extinction in nature in order to control the supply. This was discussed at the 2010 ICPS conference.

So many of the plants in collections were poached. It was probably wrong then, it is wrong now, and probably will still be wrong in the future. You can't undo the past but you can prevent it from happening in the future.

So why not edit the video and just show the plants with less of a description of the locality?

So why not edit the video and just show the plants with less of a description of the locality?

I agree with editing the videos.

There are many sites of Darlingtonia where there is no protection whatsoever (outside of National Forest boundaries) and I did not see any signs of massive poaching where I saw them, so not as popular I guess and they are one of the higher-priced CPs (so there goes that theory of mine, LOL). Instead, I saw a total disregard for this plant in that four-wheelers were destroying the habitat and in one place a small hillside full of Darlingtonia was shot up with shotguns.

I do respect and support the efforts of others to protect locations of wild Cephalotus and fully understand their motives, I just think that seeing videos of them in the wild do a lot to raise awareness of their plight.

There are even collectors who will go so far as to have the plants collected to extinction in nature in order to control the supply. This was discussed at the 2010 ICPS conference.

That is just disgusting. Some people don't deserve their share of Earth's beauty

This will be my last post on here for good , Guys and Girls , please refrain from serving any disappointment to any Mod's, the fault was mine not any one else's , a mistake was made on my behalf regrettably , and a very polite request was rightly sent , it was proper to do so in the light of the explicit nature of the vid , so please do not give any one any more grief about this subject to any one , its not good for this forum the people involved and especially me . I will be off now and not making and more posts or comments please except my wishes thanks , the people only had good intentions no malis or nastyness was pointed at me by any one on this forum
john
I wounder if the owner or high ranked Mod would consider closing this whole thread please !!

I am so sorry snapperhead. Everything was done with the best intentions and I do not hold anything against you or the Mods.

huh?

John,

I respect your decision, but hope you will reconsider my friend.....

Butch

I agree, with all of your experience, you're too valuable a member to lose.

Flaming= saying jerkish stuff so they have to respond
If I understand correctly I think he might just mean on the thread

This will be my last post on here for good , Guys and Girls , please refrain from serving any disappointment to any Mod's, the fault was mine not any one else's , a mistake was made on my behalf regrettably , and a very polite request was rightly sent , it was proper to do so in the light of the explicit nature of the vid , so please do not give any one any more grief about this subject to any one , its not good for this forum the people involved and especially me . I will be off now and not making and more posts or comments please except my wishes thanks , the people only had good intentions no malis or nastyness was pointed at me by any one on this forum
john
I wounder if the owner or high ranked Mod would consider closing this whole thread please !!

Hi John,

Thanks for verifying that my request had been polite and that it was out of goodwill.

I'll respect your decision to close the thread but do feel like the rest that your contribution is always welcome on TF.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back