What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph seeds

Possible germination on one of my seeds...will check it daily and confirm.
If it is sprouting the growth is coming from the centre of the seed versus out one end. If not sprouting it's just algae or something else that's green.

mine are still in the fridge, but I will report back when they come out.... I hope what you're seeing is what you hope it is, Curlingguy
biggrin.gif

I'm with Mabudon in the fridge but it would be a good sign if you germinated.

Zac

P.S. Mabudon, I was planning on coming out at the beginning of November. How about you?

Uhh.. I was gonna wait til maybe mid-late november, if you mean taking the seeds out of the fridge that is
biggrin.gif

confused.gif
I was definately talking about the fridge
confused.gif

One is sprouting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the proof-

Ceph%20Baby%2018oct05.jpg

WOOHOO congrats man!!! that should give us ALL hope!!!

One question- did you do the stratification, or did you forgo it like you said you were going to?
confused.gif
?

If so, mine are coming out real soon
biggrin.gif

Hi curlingguy, what substrate do you use?

No I did not stratify....just put them onto the soil.

The soil itself is peat/perlite with some fine peat on top (to hide the perlite and look better).  Keep it mind that up to now anything moist would get it to germinate. Trick will be to get it to grow.  

I also used some "No Damp" on it when I first saw it sprouting to encourage it not to get damp off and die.  Seems to have not affected it in any bad way.  You get it at stores like Walmart for like $4.00 and just mix it according to directions.  I used some on my VFT seedlings as some were dying due to damp off so I figured it would not hurt to use on the Ceph seedling.   Just mixed it according to direction and sprayed some on.  

And the seed that sprouted was all slimy and looked like it was a gonner and just going to rot on me.....so when the seeds start to look like they are getting all slimy and going to rot........might be a good sign.
smile.gif

And finally I just have them sitting in a tray with maybe 1/4-1/3 inch of water and they are in those three plant by three plant black thin plastic trays you get everywhere.

Just put the seed on the surface and covered with plastic for a while then got tired of that and took off the plastic about two weeks ago.

I think I can report germination as well.... no pics to prove it, but something is most definitely happening with at least 2 of the seeds so far, I am so excited I look at them maybe 25 times a day....
I will update this again when I see more conclusive proof....

Maybe we should start a thread in the "pitcher plants" section to keep track of our results collectively, or maybe this thread could be moved there or something since we are not trading anything anymore....

Thanks again to curlingguy for this awesome opportunity
biggrin.gif
!!

Look under my topic "newly sprouted ceph seed" under the pitcher plant forum and let's  post there from now on with our germination results/progress/pictures.  My ceph still growing (but only one)- see my post under that other topic and we can report our progress there.   And congratulations Mabudon!!!!  I look at my little ceph (smaller then a rice grain) twice a day or so through a strong magnifier and have sprayed it with "no damp" a couple times now to make sure it does not rot on me (can't say it needed it but also did not seem to hurt it).  

See you all in the other forum

Back