What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ceph pitcher(s) blackening

Hello all,
My new (1.5 weeks) ceph 'Giant' that I got from Tony is awesome, but for some reason, one pitcher is starting to blacken, and a few may be following. Is this normal, or is something wrong? I researched as much as possible, and believe it is in right conditions (highland tank under light shade cloth) The pitchers are about ths: {}
                                                                           {} size, and are perfect except for those 3. There are even two growth points. Thanks for the help!!
biggrin.gif

smile.gif

alien.gif

Could just be they are getting old and the move to a new location. Did you feed them anything? I don't feed mine but others have mentioned that they sometimes blacken easily when fed.

Tony

Thanks! I didn't feed them anything, although, flies do occasionaly enter the terrarium, and I have seen some since I got it. I can't wait until it "grows up"!
tounge.gif
confused.gif
It's put out a few pitchers since I got it, but they're still pretty small. The rajah opened up a new pitcher, and the 'Judith Finn' has uncurled a new one as well!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
alien.gif

As long as it's making new growth now I wouldn't worry too much. Most of the current pitchers are from last year. This is the time of year they are busy making new traps. As with all Cephs, I recommend removing any dead traps/leaves to reduce risk of fungal rot.

Tony

Back