What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cep Seedling

I wld like to share a pic of a cep seedling I discovered in a long-forgotten pot.

I stratified the seeds for about 2 months, then sowed them on LFS and left it in a sheltered area for the last 3 mths or so. The pot was covered with a plastic sheet. I've heard of how difficult the seeds are to germinate, so I'd pretty much left the pot neglected and forgotten for the last 3 mths. Today I decided to check it as I was clearing the area and to my surprise, there were 2 sprouts... and all these without any watering, much sunlight etc.
biggrin.gif

cep1.jpg

Awesome thats very kool! I had a ceph sent to me in the mail dieing but now thats its under lights and gets good care its coming back up now.

:: Electric Carnivores """

Good gosh, is that sphagnum next to it? That is so incredably small, how did you get a picture? Oh yah, lol and Congrats
biggrin.gif

WOW! Neglected for so long! Did you have any mold growing?

Why would he have mold? It's not like mold is required to be found around seedlings, lol.

That's the beautiful thing about Sphagnum moss, you can have a pot of if in 100% humidity for months, and no mold will grow. I sometimes have problems with algae, but that's it. Peat/perlite mixes will in the same conditions often be covered in fuzz after just a week.

Wow!

That's really awesome. I hope you get a lot more seedlings.

WildBill

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rubrarubra @ Mar. 15 2004,16:20)]That's the beautiful thing about Sphagnum moss, you can have a pot of if in 100% humidity for months, and no mold will grow.  I sometimes have problems with algae, but that's it.  Peat/perlite mixes will in the same conditions often be covered in fuzz after just a week.
Thats because Sphagnum has anti-fungle chemical properties
biggrin.gif
I always topdress pots in the live stuff if I can and it does wonders for eliminating infections.

Congratulations! I'm so happy for you. I've killed quite a few cephs...yes, I hear gasps...

So just a few words of advice since you're under the same area of sky as I...
1. MUST keep the roots as cool as you can
2. no other water other than distilled/pure/reverse "osmosised"
3. and despite their hairs, scale insects do attack them

Back