What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Catesbaei coloration

I have a sarr that came from Lowes that looked just like my catesbaei. It was even IDed as such on here (at least it was a possibility). Is there a wide range of color variation in them? It has recently turned a deep reddish-purple while the catesbaei that I originally had is green with deep red veins. Did I goof up and send a reddish purple plant to somebody and called it a catesbaei?

There are a few variations of plants that are said to be S. catesbaei. The color does range from green to even blood red lots of times even on the same plant. However it is the shape of the "lid" or hood (not sure on the correct terminology) that is the biggest key in determining what the plant is. A pic of both of the plants side by side would be a good thing. : )

-J.P.

Catesbaei is very variable, but often goes red.

Bear in mind lots of people like to label any purpurea hybrid as catesbaei when it might not be the case!

Back