What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivourus flower

lol not sure if this is normal or not but my plant shot up a flower stalk a wile ago and now it has traps neer the top just below were the flowers were and in one spot it almost looks like somethin out of a sci fi movie theres almost like a plant suspended in air its really wierd

anywho please tell me what i should do

You can treat the flower/plant as a cutting.

Hmmm, what should you do. Take a pic of it of course!
wink.gif

I vote for a picture, then treat it like a cutting
tounge.gif

later,

Yay! Make a note on that plant saying vegitative flowers! Thats a super cool mutation that some flytraps have. I'm not sure how it works but for some reson they produce little flytraps insted of seed!

My understanding is that any VFT can do this, and it's kinda a random occurance. It happened to one of the stalks on one of my Dente's, but then it flowered again with no vegitative mutation. There was a thread about this a while back....
Anyway, you can remove and root this apendage and have yourself a new VFT!
biggrin.gif

well thanx id tak a pic or too just too shjow you all but i cant put it on the sits as i do not have a home page becasue i cant figure them out lol but if someone wants to post them for me ill send them too you

hey, i'll post your pictures no biggie just send me a message and i'll give you my e-mail

This condition is called 'vegitative apomixis'

See pic:

dionaea_apomixis.jpg

Dont ask about the cig, its not my pic.....

The place i found this pic called it 'need to quit smoking'
tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dave2150 @ April 01 2003,5:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This condition is called 'vegitative apomixis'

See pic:

dionaea_apomixis.jpg

Dont ask about the cig, its not my pic.....

The place i found this pic called it 'need to quit smoking'  
tounge.gif
[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Thanks Dave, I couldn't remember the official name.

Coolie! It's a trap/flower stalk LOL! Wow... now I'm anticipating the moment when my VFT flowers open even more LOL!

EDIT: Cool pic Dave... even though it ISN'T yours! A cig in a VFT trap??? What the?

that is freeking weird!!!! that is so cool, i wish mine had done that is there any way to make it happen?

Not to belabor a technicality, but perhaps a few quotes are in order:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq3700.html
"False vivipary: Some plants will produce mutated flowers. Instead of normal flowers, the plant makes little plantlets on the flower stalk! This is commonly (and erroneously) called vegetative apomixis. The plantlets can be rooted (with care) and make new plants!"

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq1620.html
"Occasionally, some carnivorous plants produce plantlets on their flower stalks. This strange behavior is called 'false vivipary' by those botanists who are nerdy enough to be able to rattle off the difference between 'pubescent' and 'puberulent.' "

Oh, I bet 'vegitative apomixis' is what you call it when the flower head hits the soil and roots then. That would make sence with the latin.

FlytrapGurl - I did not say the pic I posted was my plant !

Read my post more carefully and I said:

"Dont ask about the cig, its not my pic.....

The place i found this pic called it 'need to quit smoking' "

I had the same thing with mine only more extreme ...

1365vft_shrub_like_dente_lg_6-26-020004-med.jpg

oh and Darcie they still produce seed as well
wink.gif

Really? That is cool, I'm going to have to write that in my books margins.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dave2150 @ April 04 2003,10:44)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">FlytrapGurl -  I did not say the pic I posted was my plant !

Read my post more carefully and I said:

"Dont ask about the cig, its not my pic.....

The place i found this pic called it 'need to quit smoking'  "[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Well, read mine LOL: ''Cool pic Dave... even though it ISN'T yours!'' After that I just said for humour: ''A cig in a VFT trap??? What the?''

You see?

Back