What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous Plant Book

im looking for a Carnivorous Plant Book

not just about care of them but one that really explains them in detail(all of them sarrs,neps,drosera,pings,fly traps, etc etc)

i hear the savage garden is a good one but again i think im looking for one in addition to that that is more scientific

ideas?

im looking for a Carnivorous Plant Book

not just about care of them but one that really explains them in detail(all of them sarrs,neps,drosera,pings,fly traps, etc etc)

i hear the savage garden is a good one but again i think im looking for one in addition to that that is more scientific

ideas?

Grettings from Kalifornia,

I would go with The Curious World of Carnivorous Plants: A Comprehensive Guide to Their Biology and Cultivationby Wilhelm Barthlott, et al -- a translation of their excellent German book, Karnivoren.

The text is fairly dry, the articles full of detail and some very impressive electron micrographs of miunte traps, galnds, and other naughty bits.. It is strict and orderly in the way only the Germans possess . . .

"Kurt Waldheim's Shopping List:

Milk, eggs, butter, Austria, Poland . . ."

--David Letterman

i would get books in this order:
The Savage Garden
Barry Rice's Growing Carnivorous Plants
The Curious World Of Carnivorous Plants

after that.....depends on your interests are.....im very happy with Peter Taylors Utricularia monograph but 95% of CPers would find it of minimal interest and even less use unless your REALLY interested in Utrics......the Nep books above look interesting and i have thumbed through a couple of them but havent spent the cash on one yet.....Lowerie's 3 book set on CP's of Oz is interesting but not nessisarily a must have unless your REALLY interested in Aussie Drosera and Utrics....Slacks books are good and generally easy to find cheap on the used book market...

I really enjoyed Stewart McPherson, Pitcher Plants of the Americas. I think this is my favorite CP book. He does not go into much detail on cultivation, but the plant & habitat descriptions, and pictures are superb.

I've been eagerly waiting for, Glistening Carnivores.

He has other books that I will also get when they are available.

http://www.redfernnaturalhistory.com/books

Another good one is Adrian Slack's Insect Eaters, a virtual reprint of his late 1980s second book Insect-Eating Plants and How To Grow Them. It is available at Amazon's UK site. At one time the older book was selling for 150.00 on eBay . . .

I really enjoyed Stewart McPherson, Pitcher Plants of the Americas. I think this is my favorite CP book. He does not go into much detail on cultivation, but the plant & habitat descriptions, and pictures are superb.

I've been eagerly waiting for, Glistening Carnivores.

He has other books that I will also get when they are available.

http://www.redfernnaturalhistory.com/books

Honostly i have only seen a handfull of american pitcher plants that interest me, but i still would not mind reading up on them. I checked the site elgecko posted and those books are sold in euro's, anyway i could get them in u.s? those books soon to come out look great too. I will probably go with The Savage Garden first. Then The Curious World Of Carnivorous Plants. it looks right now that i will be waiting on buying more plants(carnivorous) until i buy these books because i am very short on money right now. That being said does anyone here have a D. Capensis Seeds they wanna give away for free?(rather then starting another thread). I noticed today that my D. Adelae on a fallen leaf there was a tiny sproutling, so im hoping maybe ill get another plant friend. i would post pics but it is very very very small and i can hardly even see it myself.

HPLH, D. adelae can become a pest, sprouting from roots and lower leaves very easily. Grow it in a plastic net orchid pot (full of holes) and it'll grow out from every hole!
You can pull off leaves (nice lower ones) and pin it to a bed of peat or LFS using toothpicks and each leaf will make numerous tiny D. adelaes for you to divide and trade.

My faves are Nepenthes so I'd say get all the Charles Clarke books Nepenthes of Borneo, Neps of Sumatra, Neps of Sarawak, Neps of Sabah, Neps of Peninsular Malaysia... You'll definately need money though, the NHP Borneo books are crazy expensive (because of shipping charges). Check for them here: http://www.nhpborneo.com

edit: I guess their site isn't working anymore so maybe you gotta forget about those books.

Back