What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carnivorous orchids?

Last night, my mother-in-law pointed out that I missed a show on Carnivorous Orchids. It was aired on NHK (Japanese Channel) and apparently the description of the show stated that the south american orchids would lure, trap and digest their prey like sarracenia.

Is this a recent discovery? Has anybody heard about this?

smile_l_32.gif

I believe there was a national geographic article on it... but never really followed up on it. Interesting, i'd like to see this show...

I have heard of quasi-carnivore bromeliads but not orchids. There may perhaps be orchids whos roots or leaves are able to use bacterially broken down insect matter. I have not heard of them so I don't actually know. Quite possible though that would make them quasi as well.

Joe

There are no carnivorous orchids

There are a number of orchids that use fancy pollination techniques including trapping them and making them go through a certain path to escape the flower. Thereby removing the pollen and insuring cross pollination.

One of my professional contacts has mentioned the recent discovery of an orchid believed to be carnivorous. However, as Spec mentioned, no one seems to have followed up on it. I'll ask for more details next time I see him.

That 'discovery' has been around for years and keeps popping up every once and a while. Would be nice to finally put it to rest.

Back