What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Career change...

I was thinkin' really heavily about going out to Diver School to be an Army Diver.. I've been doing some reading and its very physically demanding. I'd really like to do something like this. But a problem is I don't know how to do the breaststroke or half stroke but ive got a year so yeah.. I've already begun reading the Navy Dive Book (interesting history btw) and will begin to condition myself for the physical training aspect tomorrow. http://www.627dive.com/want-to-be-a-diver gives the following recommendations. Any info on deep diving or basic diving would be awesome! Yes I can swim but it aint pretty and I float like a half full styrofoam cup.

I float like a half full styrofoam cup.

LMFAO! well i guess that getting better at swimming (and staying afloat)is a pretty obvious suggestion? but all kidding aside you really should spend as much time in the water as you can get. going to the beach and swimming against the current will also build up your arms (no matter how many weights you lift and how strong you are..trust me you'll be hurting lol). uhhh what else...oh yea i forgot condition yourself to holding your breath longer.

You're too young to call it a career change but, if you have an opportunity to do something that inspires you, go for it. It's nice to see someone say, "...its very physically demanding. I'd really like to do something like this."

oh yea i forgot condition yourself to holding your breath longer.
How can i do that? Any techniques or just breathe deep as I can and hold it? C'mon I'm a duck outta water here!
I can swim, but like I said its mostly what I picked up as a kid.. nothin' more than a modified doggie paddle.
PLEASE more suggestions!! I'm GOING to pass this training, period, but help would be amazing. I want this too badly to fail out.

im (ALMOST) completely sure that just simple running and laps in a pool religously will increase lung power (any cardio excersise). which will turn to being able to hold your breath underwater but another thing you must factor in is the survival instinct that you WILL face. when you feel yourself out of breath you gotta remember that thats your mind telling you that your drowning. your lungs can hold out for 30 seconds or so after that frantic feeling sets in, just relax and stay calm.

Sit at the bottom of a pool and time yourself. Rinse repeat. Find some deep water and work on depth. Many sources online to help guide w/ this method.

Have you seen that recent series on the National Geographic Channel about professional divers? It was a very interesting show. Try and catch a rerun of it. Here is a link to it: http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/inside/4907/Overview

swampdonkey- that's a bit hard considerin' I'm still in Iraq.. But thanks I'll check it out anyway!

jafvortex93- yeah I figured that much.. I just don't know whats better running wise- sprints or long distance? ???

mix it up, thats the best i can tell you. sprinting will give you the toned physique, muscular build, and add to how long it takes you to fatigue. and long distance adds to all that but also improving sustained lung power. sprinting will make you pant but you will not be breathing efficiently. where as jogging/running you will get a fast pace with proper breathing techniques. what i like to do while i run is pretty much the lamase breathing for women in labor. prevents passing out and gives you plenty of oxygen =]

I'm pretty sure they look for people with the necessary drive and willpower more than for swimming skills. At your age I could swim laps underwater, but anyone can learn to swim and hold their breath. I was living proof. Just get yourself in the best possible shape that you can over there. Swimming can wait.

You can condition yourself to hold your breath just by doing it often, but I found I made more progress when I did cross-training and cardio in conjunction with swimming laps underwater. Get yourself a snorkel and mask and go swim in the ocean or a safe river - something where there's a current/waves, obstacles, and interesting things to look at. Get used to flippers but don't come to depend on them. You're probably in pretty good shape already but try to tone down when you start training; you'll learn your fundamentals better if you're a sinker so shedding some bodyfat is a good place to start.
Cardiopulmonary health is vital, as is good posture and core strength; if you've got a weak back you're going to find yourself having some miserable times if you, say, start to lose your weight belt or have to hustle against the current in a drift dive gone bad. Also work on your manual dexterity - ideally you should be able to put on, remove and operate all of your equipment entirely by rote. When training you'll have your sense of touch to help you, but if you're in an emergency and the water is so cold your hands are going numb, you need to be prepared.
Diving is a ton of fun and I think someone with your dedication will get a lot from it. Best luck.
~Joe

The styrofoam cup thing was more of a joke, I swim pretty well having never been taught anything.
I'm pretty sure they look for people with the necessary drive and willpower more than for swimming skills.
Well yes they do but eventually I do have to be able to swim 500m in UNDER 14:00. Never having done laps and mostly just horsing around in the pool, I don't know how well I'll do in this event. Eventually this is what I will have to do:

* Swim 500 yards in under 14 minutes using breaststroke or sidestroke only
* Ten minute rest
* 42 Pushups, chest to ground, no sagging or arching to rest
* Two minute rest
* 50 Situps, hands across chest, heels within 10 inches of glutes
* Two minute rest
* 6 Pullups, starting from dead hang, no swinging or kicking
* Ten minute rest
* Run 1.5 miles in under 12:45
Its called the DPFT or Diver Physical Fitness Test

I just did all that except for the running and the swimming, the only fear i would have with doing that (myself) is swimming 500 yards and THEN doing all that. thats killer.

You know who Rangers are, right? These guys are essentially Rangers in the Engineer Corps. world but not Sappers.
So yesterday I found out, based on my vision, I may not be able to even get into the school.. so yea... great news..

Did the DPFT or Diver Physical Fitness Test minus the 500meter swim and part of that is a mile and a half run which I did in 10:30! For me that's fast! probably coulda gotten a 13:00 2mile run at that pace! Motivation is AMAZING when you want somethin' badly!
Also found out I can get in if I can get lasik surgery! :D

Ack, that vision requirement is harsh. I can understand it though... seeing is important down there.
If you want it, push hard. Commercial deep divers make more in five days than most of us net in a month.
~Joe

Back