What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Carbonated water for Co2 replacement?

hey, i just thougth of something...
Carbonated water or club soda, soemhting of that sort.. it basically water that is carbonized. and thous that is what the Co2 reactor does to the water it carbonizes the water soo... if i find pure carbonated water, i will attemp to make a very diluted mixture of the substance iinto my utricularia tank.. hermmm does anyoen disagree with me on this, please tell em if you do..

Cya laters
confused.gif

sonds interresting tell us your resolts if do you do it

It might work, but stuff like Perrier is called "mineral water" for a reason. You would need to find purer water that had been carbonated.

You can never be too careful about your water quality, esp. if the Utricularia are in an undrained situation: what goes in, stays in. It is an interesting thought and cautious experimentation with spare plants seems in order!

The other question is how long the carbon dioxide will remain dissolved in the water. Most of it will escape as soon as you open the bottle and the soda goes flat. I don't know how quickly the remaining CO2 that is dissolved in the water would be used up. With the CO2 generator there is a constant input into the water. It seems like it might be expensive and/or of little benefit. And risky too.

ya, i thought abotu the co2 reeduction do to the evaporation of it in the water... soo as i said this is just a experiment that i am hoping will be at least a small success, and from there i will find the problems i face and then correct them if i can, for example if my co2 will escape i will develop and inclosement to trap the co2 in the tank... but yes i will make sure this is an success, before i give any positive feedback from myself... thank you everyone for your comments and oppinions...

cya laters
smile.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
confused.gif

How about dry ice?  It's frozen CO2.
  Pro's:  adds CO2 to water
            Creates "witch's brew" effect as it boils in the water.
            Can be purchased at many grocery stores.
             Freaks people out when dropped in toilets
biggrin.gif

Con's:  Can cause frost bite on bare skin
            Can cause frost bite or freeze plants it touches
             Cools water as it "boils"

Just an idea
smile.gif

i love the idea, and the humor! omg that would be so halarious, droppign it in peoples toilets.. OMG that woudl be great... ya, but i dont think that would work out to well, as it would most likely drastically drop the temperature o fthe water, and i woudl end up with some Utricsicles lohell
tounge.gif

but i that woudl be soo great, as for my utric tank would be all bubling and crap! ya lol... phew..... also i dotn thinkt he heavy fog woudl allow light to pas through it......

Cya laters,
Jim

Jungle Labs has a new product called CO2 Fizz tabs. They also sell a Fizz factory, which is basicly a plastic box atached to a container via an air line. You add a measured amount of water to the container, submerge the box in your aquarium , and drop one of the fizz tabs in the container. The plastic box fills up with CO2 and slowly dispates into the water. I have been using it in my 30 gal pond and it seems to be working great. Even my Aldrovanda is starting to grow. It is a lot easier than a CO2 system.

I bet you could do something similar with baking soda...

The Fiz Tabs intrege me? where would i get something like that? oh and also dodecatheon, like whatis your baking soda idea? i havtn gotten time.. to experiment to much as my U Rediata just like got attacked by some algae... and i had to replace the water... sigh.. oh well there fine now Phew....

Cya laters
Jim

what if you took dry ice in place of night time ice in an ultrahighland nep tank?
that would provide the significant plunge in temperatures, and also, it would help by letting off co2...

i would suspect that, that would work out wonderfully.... and in fact i think i have seen that done, unless that was just a fog machine, that had emmitted the white bottom resting clouds, ive seen a picture.... of it i think, i would nto see why it woudl hurt it, hey and how about the dry ice in a terrarium full of Cobra lillies? bwhahah.. herm Idea's Kicks the Bootay...

Cya laters
Jim

Back