What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Captain america statue

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I tried to make this reminiscent of the WW2 recruitment posters, Captain America came out in the 1940s and fought Hittler in his first comics! To this day he still fights an old Hittler cronie the Red Skull. anyway...

america6.jpg

america5.jpg

america7.jpg

america8.jpg

He's primed but not painted. I'm hoping my photo tent will come soon so I can take some good final unpainted pics before doing the paintjob it will be as lifelike as possible, no flat comic colors! I haven't decided yet on the finial for the flag pole, spear, eagle or what... any ideas?

The flag is cardstock paper here, and I might keep it that way because it's easily poseable compared to the plastic sheet I was going to use which would be set in one position.

Hope you dig him!

It's odd but I think I'm most impressed by the shield. That would be the part I wouldn't have the guts to do... I'd just take it off a toy.
smile.gif
You aren't just good at sculpting one thing... you have the whole gamut... which is what separates you from 95% of the people who do what you do, I'm sure.

It reminds me of how when master metalsmiths go through their training, often one of their tests is to make a perfect sphere out of metal just by eyeing it. They just have to have the skill... there's no getting around it.

Anyway, I like how you can see the cloth of the mask. It reminds me a little bit of an Alex Ross painting (if he were less muscley anyway
smile.gif
).

I think I would go with the spear. It has that simple, primal symbolism to it... seems more heroic.

As always Josh, it looks awesome. I always like the Eagle at the top of the flagpole.....it's such a great American symbol.

Just out of curiosity, how is your work going? Have you received quite a few freelance jobs for sculpting?

I started doing some freelance graphic design work along with my full time graphic design job. I really like the extra cash......but after a full days work, it's tough to get motivated for more hours of work. Winter would probably be a better time for that.

Nice work and keep them coming!

- Joel

I like the idea of a spear as the finial..very Martial, and subtle, too.

Great work, as usual! Aprilh

Thanks folks!
I'm still going through my paces trying to work the clay and wax as well as my sculpting friends. I have gotten a few jobs based on my website but I haven't sent out my portfolio or attempted to make contacts with the companies I really wanna work for cos I'm not all that thrilled with most of my stuff yet... Practice, practice!

It's not hard for me to get into sculpting when I come home. It's a great way to forget about my real job since it's so different/relaxing compared to running an envelope inserting machine. The real payoff for me will be not having to work at the mailing place - that's a big inspiration!

The hardest thing is peeling myself away from online forums on my days off!
smile_m_32.gif

You are so very, very talented! do you sell any of your work?

Thanks Tam! Just where have you been young man?  
smile.gif

I finally got a woman statue "nearly completed" -Ok I haven't touched her since taking these pics several months ago-and I've since snapped off all her fingers by accident! This is Lorna Dane / Polaris, Magneto's daughter (sometimes) in green Castilene wax . This wax is generally used for burnout in making bronzes with the lost wax method but it's becoming popular in the toy world. Some companies such as Sota and McFarlane require pieces are submitted in this stuff. It's easy to carve and sculpt but a PITA to smooth since no known solvents will degrade the wax surface without making it tacky and untouchable. So smoothing toolmarks all has to be done with heated tools and gentle touch sanding pads:
pol1.jpg

pol2.jpg

pol4.jpg

JLAP, it's all due to having no social life and nothing else to do with my time! I have a long way to go before I'm feel like I'm where I wanna be with my abilities but I feel like (and hope) that I'm improving with each thing I do. I have sold a few things (original pieces only no casts other than the nepenthes kits I did). Mostly I want to get hired directly as a sculptor for things since original (unknown) charachter kits don't sell well. And you could get sued for selling castings of movie and comic charachters without a liscence to manufacture that specific item (even though every model kit magazine out there is 99% full of unliscenced kits). When someone asks me to sculpt something based on the art they give me I do it for them and get the money for the original. If they go and make model kits out of it without permission from the company who owns the charachter after that, that's a decision entirely up to them. But working freelance for the real toy/collectible statue companies is where I wanna be since those are the guys who will pay enough for each sculpt that will allow me to quit my mailing job and do this fulltime.

I'm starting on a new project tonight that's gonna be WAY different than anything I've ever done before, and no worries about a liscence. Hopefully I will be able to make it exciting to look at (considering the subject) and not just "oh one of those". Just gotta collect a few more reference pics online before I start bending the armature wires.  
smile_m_32.gif

Back