What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

capensis

Anyone know what type of capensis I have here:

capensisstem.jpg

typical? wide leaf? narrow leaf?

thanks
-Homer

Homer, it's not like that plant is special enough to take up valuable forum space...like an adelae would.  Just kidding.  My guess is that your plants are typical which is also called wide leaf, or stem forming.  Enjoy.

-Roy

Look like two happy mother plants.
wink.gif
lol

Nah, looks like the typical form to me also. Narrow leaf wouldn't have the stem that big on it (unles it were very old).

Yup. Looks like stem forming, wide leaf. Nice plants Homer.

One mans thin leaf is another mans typical is another mans wide leaf. I call this the wide leaf form. There are 2 other forms I know (not to mention the red and albino) with varrying degrees of width, all less wide than this.

Thanks. Stem forming, wide leaf it is!

Nice plant homer! Can`t wait till mine look that good lol.:p

Sweet...can't wait till i get one that big
biggrin.gif

how can you tell the difference with a narrow ?

Goldtrap,

Since none of these plants have been registered as cultivars, and no one has measured and defined the characteristics, the only way you can really tell is to try different seed from different growers. Then, the thinnest lamina form would be "thin leaf", the next widest form would be "typical" and the widest form "wide leaf" (at least in your collection). It is all opinion until something definite gets set in stone via publication. It is always possible that another grower has a thinner leafed clone than your "thin leaf", and inevitably this hypothetical grower would not agree that your plant was "thin leaf" since his would be thinner! This is why we need to register and define these forms. Until this is done, all speculation regarding unpublished measurements ("Large" "Typical" "Thin" "Wide" "Giant" ) are just that: speculation and opinion.

In botanical terms, there is only Drosera capensis, which is a variable species. Adding anything after the binomial (unless it is published as a cultivar) is therefore largely useless for purposes of communication.

Right on Tamlin!

And contrary to the popular belief of some, anyone can register a cultivar. The only limitation on registering cultivars is our own willingness to perform the minor effort of submitting the necessary information and photograph.

Homer, do you have enough sundews in that one pot? I think it would be wise to fit just a few more in the pot
tounge.gif
. Ok bad joke...The only one I know of are fat, skinny, the red dew, and the white dew capensis. Now I may be wrong but that is my observation.
rock.gif

Travis

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a "red" form someday.  Maybe when my gemmae spree has run into an end here shortly I'll pick one up.  I've got a few alba's and slews of the same type shown in my picture, but I'm sad to say that they are all dormant now.

I've never really bothered to keep a capensis indoors for more than a year straight (until this year), and I'm rather pleased with this plants ability to form a nice stem and plantlets  
smile.gif

-Homer

Back