What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis

What are the temps that a capensis can take (example:50 to 75 F) and how much water is to be used, also, can i use the tray method? And can it live in peat/perlite 1:1 ratio?Thanks,
Kevin

I would say:

Temp: 40 - 90 F
Water: Pure and as much as you like, but don't skimp
Tray method: Yes
It thrives in just about any mix or media you can use with most any other CP. Seems to grow best for me in 100% long fiber sphagnum.

Thanks!!
I will use the tray method for it, and keep 1 1/2 inches of water in the tray, thanks again,
Kevin

Cook sent me a care sheet with mine says they can take up to 100f . Its a very easy sun dew to grow and I agree Pure water is the best and if you dont want to risk your plants life use only pure water.

but for some reason I have some cuttings growing in my green house and there doing fine with the tap water and all the junk we have in it here and are water is hard as a rock.

Very easy sundew to grow.

do you think i could grow it in my room, its pretty warm in there, probably 65 to 70 degrees in the day, and 60 to 55 degrees at night, it gets about 5 hours of sun where i will put it, thanks,
Kevin

It should be fine, the things are a weed in their native habitat. Think Dandilion of the CP world,lol, I has some seeds sent to me and they where a little old and I only had like 12, but it was more like 6 seeds when I sort of messed up my first plant, so anyways, with only 6 old seeds I still got a seedling out of it! Thats a well evolved plant
smile.gif

-Darcie
P.S. Don't worry, I got more seeds now that I know what I am doing...sort of... so it will have friends soon, lol.

I had capensis growing outside that survived 28F temps. They weren't happy, but the center growth continued. I have also exposed them to temps. of well near 120F over the summer in sealed terraria in full sun (after acclimation!!, don't try this at home kids&#33
wink.gif

Keep them away from your other pots of CPs when in flower or you will have them crowding out your more delicate plants!

Back