What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis Trees!?

Lets start off with some of my pictures of my drosera bog...

Pretty innocent,... right?

d.capensis alba in sun by billychendra, on Flickr

WRONG.,

Underneath, it's a battle for survival: or as Darwin stated, survival of the fittest.

rooted bog by billychendra, on Flickr

rooted bog2 by billychendra, on Flickr

Roots, roots and more roots, The plants on the surface are FIGHTING for survival through the many plants... and several of them have adapted into 'Capensis Trees'.

See the inch or two of black 'bark' there?

the 'bark' by billychendra, on Flickr

It's like it's walking:

treehouse drosera! by billychendra, on Flickr

Here's my finger for reference, now look down at yours and tell me, that these Capensis are not trying to survive and outlive their opponents.

treehouse drosera with finger for referance by billychendra, on Flickr

Even the lone Utric has to survive.

utric in the masses by billychendra, on Flickr

Heh, this is all my thoughts but I was just wondering if it was the buildup of dead material that cause capensis to do this, or if it's something else. I remember a year or two ago, there was discussion for 'Capensis Tree's and I just wanted to bring this back. It's surprising but these plants will be turning 2 years old in a month or two.

EDIT: Here are the little monsters before becoming invasive. Man, they WERE cute..

Last edited:
well, technically, "survival of the fittest" isnt about only the strongest surviving....it's about who get's to reproduce and pass on their genes to the next generation....aka, you might be strong, but you are sterile = you are not fit. hahahaha. but dang that's a LOT of D. capensis!

I dare you to chop all those roots into root cuttings and see how many plants you can make.

Wait a second..... I thought you guys can't grow capensis in Singapore....

Wait a second..... I thought you guys can't grow capensis in Singapore....

I'm in southern california. o_O'

@wolfn: i might make a root giveaway? heh, my mom's really conservative about my plants and wont allow me to actually give away plants..

What? Your mom wont let you gie away plants? Thats a bit odd dont you think. they are YOURS you know ???

What? Your mom wont let you gie away plants? Thats a bit odd dont you think. they are YOURS you know ???

It's HER money, that allowed me to get MY plants. ^^ Heh, I dislike how most asian people have Confucian ideals..

That's a beautiful bush of dews you have there!
Love the root shots.

That sure is a lot of D. capensis! I would argue that they are not even really struggling to survive. They seem quite healthy, and from my experience D. capensis roots are more of just stabilizers and a means to get water.

You could probably leave them like that for a loooong time before you noticed any plants dying.

My parents don't have confusion ideas, they just yell a lot.

You make me proud. :')

Back