What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis propagation prevention question

Okay, I should have titled "questions" plural.

Where exactly on a capensis do the flowers form? I've read "on every stalk" but I need to know what to look out for so I can snip them before they become a weed. I have them in a terrarium at the moment with other plants that would not appreciate several capensis seedlings' company.

Mine are I believe typical and red.

Second and last question, once you see the flower buds starting to form, about how long do you have to snip them before it's too late (time-wise). As long as it's more than a week, this is fine. I'd hate to go away for a week or 10 days, and come back to a bunch of open flowers on my capensis that spell "doom". ;)

They come from the top of the crown, just like leaves. The difference is that leaves curl upward (like a beckoning finger) whereas flower stalks curl the opposite way (the way your fingers curl over when you point at something.) Also, the flower stalks tend to be a bit fuzzy and you can see the florets near the end - they look like little furry berries or something. You'll know it's a flower stalk long before the flowers open. Even if they do open, you've still got a few weeks before they set seed. You're only really in trouble if you find the stalk completely unfurled with the last few flowers open, but in my experience it takes a few weeks for the stalk to open completely.
~Joe

PS - Try browsing BobZ's CP Photo Finder for examples.

Hey, not meaning to hijack this thread... but my u sandersonii has a bunch of capnesis's growing out of it. Would it be possible to remove th capnesis's from the sandersonii... I dont want them infesting the pot lol.

Thanks seedjar, I'll keep an eye out. My primary concern was how long till it's too late.

Hey, not meaning to hijack this thread... but my u sandersonii has a bunch of capnesis's growing out of it. Would it be possible to remove th capnesis's from the sandersonii... I dont want them infesting the pot lol.

Laxgoal, feel free to take over this thread, I'm done with it, but you may have better luck starting your own. ;)

Well, there's nothing bad making a few more plants (carefully collecting the seeds)

As long as you clip the flowers before the pods turn brown/black and split open you should be okay.

You may as well treat yourself to the sight of D. capensis flowers. These are actually quite attractive. They only remain open for a few hours so keep an eye on them.

Even after you clip the pods the seeds can still ripen and produce viable seeds if developed enough so watch where you put the clippings.

Even when they don't flower D. capensis seems to pop up everywhere. The best way I can think of to not get D. capensis to propagate everywhere is to not grow it at all! But of course, you will always get hitchhikers from trading with other people and buying online, lol. It's a lost cause!

xvart.

Even when they don't flower D. capensis seems to pop up everywhere. The best way I can think of to not get D. capensis to propagate everywhere is to not grow it at all! But of course, you will always get hitchhikers from trading with other people and buying online, lol. It's a lost cause!

xvart.

just to clarify for newbies..
it is of course impossible to get seeds without some plant somewhere flowering! ;)
yes, you might buy a plant that mysteriously sprouts seedlings in the soil next to it..
but those seeds were already in the pot before you bought it.
I often get "bonus" drosera that appear when I buy dried spagnum moss.

but if you have a capensis, or several, you will not get overrun with them if you simply dont let them flower..just cut off the flower stalk before the flowers open, problem solved.

D. capensis will not "propagate everywhere" if it doesnt flower and make seeds..
its a very managable plant by itself..it only becomes an unmanagble "weed" if you let it flower and the seeds are allowed to spread all over.

cut those flower stalks! ;)

Scot

just to clarify for newbies..
it is of course impossible to get seeds without some plant somewhere flowering! ;)

lol. Yeah, sorry scotty. I meant to make my "observation" more directly related to the part where I talked about hitchhikers while still maintaining the running joke about D. capensis.

xvart.

Back