What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis help

i have 4 capensis (1 of each form) in my 55 gallon tank...

they sit right next to my d. adelae which are thriving...

however, all of my capensis are struggling. the dont stay particularly 'dewy' and the flowering stalk are turning brown/ black before the can flower.

i thought these were suppossed to be really easy to keep!? the  plants sit at the bottom of the tank so they are about 16 inches or so from the lights at the top of the tank.

any ideas on what i can do to keep them healthy?

you dont say anything about your terrarium, all we know is that you have "lights"

d. adelae dont need bright light to thrive, in fact, they are bigger and live longer compared to when they are grown in very strong light. however, drosera need light to make dew, and light is the most important factor, more important than humidity. you need to tell us how many/what kind of lights you have, temps, humidity, etc. i think it's your light, unless you have VHO lights or NO lights running on a VHO ballast, your plants are too far away from it.

D. capenesis doesn't even need a terrarium if your climate is suitable, i'd move it outside.

When I brought a store bought one to work it immediately went into shock. All of its leaves died. I covered it for a few days and it recovered. Several weeks later it began to flower, sitting on a window sill, open tray. It is now outside.

I would have to think its a lighting issue. D.capensis seem to thrive in any conditions (for me at least) as long as the light is good. I had mine in lower pots and they were doing ok, then i moved them closer to the lights and now i have a D.capensis bush that wont stop flowering.

If you find the right conditions for these plants you will have more than you know what to do with soon.

Good luck
Ktulu

Back