What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Capensis flowering- how many seeds

My Drosera Capensis is putting up a flower stalk. Can someone please tell me how best to harvest the seeds, how many I can expect, and how best to get them growing (sow them right away or what?).

If you want to know how to harvest, just read the harvest article in the article forum. What I do, is wait until the all the flowers turn black or at least 80%, I cut off the flower stalk and put it in a ziplock bag, in one or two weeks, the pods should open splitting the seed and remember to double check the pods, cause not all of them split all the way. You should wait until spring before sowing them unless you grow the plants indoors. How many can you expect....you don't want to know.

Do the seeds need stratification or, as I grow them under lights, can I plant the seeds immediately?

Just to clarify, "immediately" as long as you let 'em dry out and darken- if you plant them too soon they might go funky on ya (sorry for the technical jargon)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (curlingguy @ Nov. 12 2005,2:16)]how many I can expect
More then you can ever use yourself.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Nov. 13 2005,9:03)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (curlingguy @ Nov. 12 2005,2:16)]how many I can expect
More then you can ever use yourself.
Believe me, they produce a TON of seeds. I got at least 500 seeds from just a few seed pods. You will soon have D.capensis seedlings popping up everywhere, especially where you don't want them.

Yep, so true
confused.gif

smile_n_32.gif
So, I'll soon have tons of capensis.....yahoooo!!!!!
smile_n_32.gif

Back