What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cantley's red

Is there anything special I should do with an unrooted top which is coming here soon? I know this is an expensive plant and I want to give it the best treatment.

My plan woud be to put it in live moss, in the warm terrarium at 100% humidity. Would rooting hormone be a good idea or will it strike on its own? How deep should the pot sit in water for best rooting? ANything else I should consider? I am willing to provide whatever will give it the best chance of making it. N. ampullaria is my favorite Nep. My spotted clone from Dustin is doing well for me, is the red form of similar temperment?

Thanks again for the help, I really appreciate it. I would also be interested in any history lessons if someone feels like typing. Is this a natural being, or a TC experiment gone good?

Photo's to make me drool?

Purdy please?

i would treat the ampullaria cutting like any other cutting (even though it's expensive plant). But i had successful rooting ampullaria without rooting hormone, but with the ampullaria i just got recently, i'm using rooting hormone. I root my containers in any types of pot. I use pure spaghnum moss or peat moss when rooting cuttings.

The rooting conditions should be same with all N. Ampullaria (i think).

i've heard ampullaria cuttings are harder to get to root than regular neps.

The original N. ampullaria Cantley's red was found as a wild plant by Rob a number of years ago. There are a number of other red clones and other colors now after selecting from a huge population of seed grown plants.

I haven't seen any real difference in growth between color forms although people say the original Cantley's Red is more tempermental.

N. ampullaria tip cutting should root fairly easily. I prefer to keep mine in a ziplock bag nice and warm (ie 75 or so) and under a couple fluorescent tubes. I find overall my cuttings do better if they are fairly wet but not sopping.

maybe later I will post a bunch of N. ampullaria color forms..

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is there anything special I should do with an unrooted top which is coming here soon?
Place the cutting directly in a moiste LFS.
Place cutting/moss in zip lock baggie
Place baggie in Box
send box to
Schloaty
2706 Village Dr.
Brewster, NY 10509

smile_n_32.gif

Good luck with rooting it, Tamlin.  I always treat my cuttings with liquid rooting hormone.  I use dip n' grow currently, and it seems to work well.  I certainly have a better strike rate with the hormone than without.

Lol. bad Dave *bonks on head* bad Dave *bonks on head*.
smile_n_32.gif

Thanks much for this! I like the ziplock bag plan. Ziplocks are my friend for a lot of purposes. Nice and warm, and I assume with as little night time drop as possible? Maybe I can sit it on top of my monitor at night since it is cooling down now.

N. ampullaria was one of the plants that got me hooked on wanting to grow rare plants when I read a 60's National Geographic on Malaysian Neps. There was a 2 page spread of one plant growing in leaf litter. I still can see the photo now more clearly than is healthy!

The process sounds hopeful, and I look forward to recreating that photo in real life. I will male a dedicated terrarium for both Dustin's plant and this newbie so that they have lots of space. Maybe I can't collect all the Neps I yearn to, but I can try to grow one species really well. That's the plan.

Are there other forms other than the red, spotted, and all green?

O they come in all sorts of colors.. base color of the pitcher, peristome color, and spotting can all vary in their presence/absence and in the amount of color saturation.

typical green with speckles, ie green pitcher, green peristome, spotting present.
Nampullaria_speckledCR.jpg

Hot Lips, ie green pitcher, red peristome, spotting absent.
NampullariaHotLips.jpg

Giant Red, red pitcher, green peristome (with stripes), spotting absent.
Namp_MTgiantredCR.jpg

William's Red, red pitcher, red peristome, spotting absent. This has to be most intensely color saturated clones out there.
Namp_BEMicRedCR.jpg

Tricolor, red pitcher, red peristome, spotting present
Namp_BETricCR.jpg

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tamlin Dawnstar @ Sep. 05 2004,1:36)]Thanks much for this!  I like the ziplock bag plan.  Ziplocks are my friend for a lot of purposes.  Nice and warm, and I assume with as little night time drop as possible?  Maybe I can sit it on top of my monitor at night since it is cooling down now.

N. ampullaria was one of the plants that got me hooked on wanting to grow rare plants when I read a 60's National Geographic on Malaysian Neps.  There was a 2 page spread of one plant growing in leaf litter.  I still can see the photo now more clearly than is healthy!

The process sounds hopeful, and I look forward to recreating that photo in real life.  I will male a dedicated terrarium for both Dustin's plant and this newbie so that they have lots of space.  Maybe I can't collect all the Neps I yearn to, but I can try to grow one species really well.  That's the plan.

Are there other forms other than the red, spotted, and all green?
That pitcher was as big as a cat!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Tony,

Thanks for the photo's. I'd say that "William's Red" has a fine and fateful name! Time to go a huntin' I think.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Sep. 04 2004,11:10)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Is there anything special I should do with an unrooted top which is coming here soon?
Place the cutting directly in a moiste LFS.
Place cutting/moss in zip lock baggie
Place baggie in Box
send box to
Schloaty
2706 Village Dr.
Brewster, NY 10509

smile_n_32.gif

Good luck with rooting it, Tamlin.  I always treat my cuttings with liquid rooting hormone.  I use dip n' grow currently, and it seems to work well.  I certainly have a better strike rate with the hormone than without.
no no no thats all wrong send it to:
Kirk Simpson
2326 thornhill dr.
Colorado Springs, CO
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

WHat if I just send one of every CP species to all you kids?
Where would you keep them all, and how would you know how to grow them?

Patience, grasshopper!

Actually its referred to as Cricket
smile_m_32.gif

i'd keep em in my greenhouse, propagate em, and distribute them

Missed out on this thread earlier.

Did the cutting make it Tamlin?  N. ampullaria are generally not difficult to root but if you"re trying it with a red for the first time then it might be an expensive experiment.

I agree that the original Cantley's red is more temperamental, I don't know why.  Probably takes after me  
smile_m_32.gif

Nice display of color forms there Tony.  Out of our huge batch of seed-grown items we had a couple of others.  There's a hot-lips that forgot to apply her lipstick properly and should perhaps be called "pink lips".  There's also this guy adapted to catch snakes:

amp_looong.jpg

and the bat-catching

amp_distort-2.jpg

Nice pics Rob.

Funky pitchers you got there hehe. Get some cuttings going!!!
smile_m_32.gif
I am sure I can wedge in at least one more pot into my lowland chamber!

Grreat pics Rob,
The spotted ampullaria looks like it has some venous fly trap in it
smile_n_32.gif

Thanks for sharing.
Robin

Rob,

Did you ever decide on a name for the toothy one? I seem to remember "Green Maw" or...you can name it after "The Joker" from Batman fame, since it has green lips...

Cheers,

Joe

Joe,
I think 'the Joker' had red lips, but green tinted hair.
Tony and Rob,
The pics are beautiful.
Rob,
Saw your post on the Digest about cultivars. You should have some truly incredible stuff that should definitely be registered cultivars.

Trent

I keep looking at these photos of pitchers, and they look soft.
umm, makes me think little bit tougher then a rose petal.

are they supposed to be soft? or are they leathery? or hard?
or rough?
how are these pitchers supposed to feel? like the leave does?

Hi Rob,

The cutting is still with me in it's plastic bag home. So far so good!

Back