What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This is just a general question but, are there any signs that a nep is going to flower?

Some of my plants will grow at the speed of a glacier for a little bit, even making smaller leaves, before popping out a flower. Some don't produce any pitchers for 2-5 leaves before a flower comes out. Some just grow like normal lol. Usually I just get a "feeling" that a plant is about to flower. Call it a sixth sense. You can tell the second they start flowering (about a month before you can actually see the flower) because the leaf sheath will be far thicker than normal, and have a bulge in it. I think it was Geoff of EP who told me once that at that stage, you can shine a powerful flashlight through the sheath and determine its gender at that early a stage.

My sanguinea doesn't bleed, but it's finally starting to look more mature and put out some fatter, thicker pitchers. This pitcher opened prematurely for some reason. Hopefully the next pitcher will be bigger.
DSCN0226.jpg

N. mirabilis "toothless old man". Actually more like wo-man:
DSCN0227.jpg

That's a 1-off pitcher. It's the first one it's made in my conditions and was halfway inflated when it got here, so it's still getting used to things. I'm hoping for flowers soon but I highly doubt that will happen any time in the foreseeable future.

Never seen anything like the N. mirabilis "toothless old man". before. Fascinating, but kind of ugly. But then again, if ugliness were a sole limiting factor, I wont have a very bright future, so i better hope it isnt :0

Lol Ron... that thing is fugly. The rest of your collection is real nice though :). Make sure to share some pics of your new additions here when they come in from me (and Ludwig and Steve of course :)) and Sam.

Daniel

Yeah I agree. I was tempted to cut it off when I saw it haha. I checked the other pitcher it was developing when it was shipped, and it has this happening to it too, but not as bad. I realllllly hope it stops doing that. This plant is one of my few females.

And you know me...I take pics of everything lol.

No LL collection is complete w/o one of these:
DSCN0229.jpg

Just recently opened. Peristome still folding back.

Man, I just love Dyeriana. I can't wait till I can get one. Yours looks great. That is what it is right? lol.

Lol yeah. I don't know why a plant that's been around for 108 years is still so hard to find. Now that I've had it for a while, it's started to pick up a bit and actually make some movement. I've had it since summer and it's only put out 1 leaf. This is it's first pitcher for me (not bad at ~6") and it's inflating another.

Dyeriana!!! It's on my top 5 favorite Neps list. I absolutely love those pitchers - simply stunning. Lucky devil! Fantastic pitcher you've got there - you must be treating her right. When she makes babies send the stork my way!

Back