What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

canadian spaghnum peat

I just got a large amount of canadian peat for about 1/10 the cost of other bags. I got about 30lbs of it for $8. Is this stuff better then what we have down here? Are there any advantages to using it over say "miracle gro"?

Canadian peat should be fine... that's what I use.
smile.gif

You must be wary of Miracle Grow products (and this includes perlite). The often add nutrients to their products, and I would buy nothing before absolutely confirming that there is nothing added.

Canadian peat is one of the better sources of peat. I use this with all of my Cp's, although I do take the precaution of rising it before use.

I have been having difficulty finding any kind of potting soil (NOT peat) that isn't pre-fertilized. I find this extremely frustrating. I have been in need of regular potting soil for a quite while but can't find any "plain." It used to be just MiracleGro had the fertilizer but now it seems every vendor has decided this is a great idea and jumped on the bandwagon, never thinking not every plant needs the SAME fertilizer and some don't need it at all.

I've decided to make my own custom soil except I can't get to my barrels of plant media because of the junk in my garage from the hurricane.

Bob...where did you find this? Sounds like a good deal. I can't ever find Canadian.

I picked up a bag of the Miracle Grow perlite earlier this week. The fertilizers in it is extremely weak according to the label, and it was all Lowes had in stock so I thought I would give it a shot. I plan to rinse it out really good before I mix it with my peat, then stearlize it. I was just going to move one of my VFTs into it for a while and see how it does. I only have two right now that I started from seed my wife got for me on eBay. (About 3 months old now, need to take some pictures.)

Has anyone tried this and should I be OK or should I just use it for plants I know can handle it and leave my VFTs in straight peat?

Thanks!

Jeremy

uh, I didn't even think to look at the fertilizer aspect of the miracle gro soils. I have been transplanting every plant I have into it, and using perlite at times as well. I guess by mistake, I have found that they appear to do just fine for my plants. I suppose it is hard to find soil without some sort of addition to it in the form of fertilizer? None of my plants have shown any sort of bad reaction to it. I can say that they are all doing very well. SOO, hopefully I was only an experiment and didn't even realize it. I stumbled onto the canadian peat at a local nursery that occasionally carries cps from NC. I picked up a mylar type covering there as well. It seems to work well as my terrarium temps are about 68 degrees on any given day.

Read the list of ingredients on the bag. If it only lists pure Canadian peat or just Canadian peat as the ingredient, you are probably OK. Most potting soils with fertilizer in them will tell what kind and what the concentration is. Same goes for perlite.

smile.gif

BCK

I'd love to read the ingredients, but it is all in french! I believe (if my old french doesn't fail me) that it is pure peat, one cubic yard...

Home Depot sells it. Sorry, I'm pulling a Spec73, but I was looking for something else and found this.
biggrin.gif

Yeah just try not to think about the bogs you are raping.

Back