What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can utrics catch fish?

Well I just found out that Utricularia gibba, though it has very small traps, has a very small chance of catching a fish. I dropepd a piece into a small cup containing a few belly sliding fry(fry which cannot swim properly...if you want you can read about the rest of them in the FW aquariums section). When I got back one of them was dead with its tail caught neatly inside one of the traps.

I took a few photos but they may not be good...will post them after I am back from a trip.

Seeing this I have no trouble believing a larger utricularia could do similar without having to be confined to a small space.

Not the killies!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Say it aint so!

It indeed was a baby killifish. Not one that I was trying to save...most of the siblings that came out similarly(unable to swim properly) are in the bellies of a few bluespotted sunfish juveniles right now. The rest of the (normal) fry are doing excellently and growing. Needless to say I picked out what little U. gibba I could find(if I left it it would likely turn int 50/50 java moss U. gibba in a few weeks). I doubt U. gibba can catch healthy fry but I do know if likely eats as much baby brine shrimp as one!

I was pretty impressed and I've heard some people say that the photos involving Utrics eating fish are posed. I do not doubt that does happen but I believe that larger species can catch small fish if give the chance.

Back