What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can it be dormancy time yet?

Hi guys! I think I have a problem and need your cllective advice (again!)

My Intermedia made flowers during the summer and hasn't been looking good since, but now the flowers are cut and it's been a while, I expected it would recover after a while, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

The leaves stopped growing during flowering and after the flower dried and browned, the leaves started drying and dying too. The center of the plant is green still with possibly new leave stalks ready ( made a good while ago), but none grew, they just stay where they are and wait.

My question : can it possibly be time for dormancy yet? It has been very cold already here, and with all those hurricanes, there's been a lot of rain and barely any sunny days at all.
Or is it dying under my very nose?
What should I do? Must call Dr.Green!

I suppose some of what you are asking is dependent on where you live. I know that here in n. va the plants are slowing down except for my s. leuco. with all the crummy days and all, I don't think they help either. it is about that time for everyone to stop growing for the winter. your plant may have been set back a bit from say a cold snap or from less then optimal days, then rolled into the cooler days. This would facilitate a slow down and apparent lack of growth...kind of a double wammy if you will.

Awww...
So what do you suggest I do? Send it to the basement for sleep or give it a warm-up? (If it's not quite time yet?)

For many of the D, intermedia, the time is now for the formation of the hibernacula that will allow the plant to overwinter in frozen conditions. Local bog populations here in Upstate New York have already formed their hi bernacula. This process is not dependent on temperature so much as dictated by the shortening days.

Reduce your watering, and keep the plant in as cool conditions as possible, and provide air circulation. Keep your photoperiod at 12H daylength, and reduce this as the fall and winter seasons progress. As the plant forms a tight hibernacula, the temps. should lower as well (Here the winters can hit -27c (-20F). You can gauge the optimal temperature for your clone if you have some idea of the original population it comes from.

The substrate should be allowed to dry to just barely moist as dormancy progresses. In true dormancy, there is no uptake from the roots which have withered away, just as the leaves have. All that remains is the center resting bud, and this is simply maintained with minimum moisture, just enough to prevent the bud drying out. Too wet conditions with poor air circulation and the bud may be attacked by mold.

Leaf cuttings may be taken any time, including the abbreviated arms that form the resting bud (these behave very much like pygmy gemmae), but this is best done in the spring. I don't know how cuttings would respond at this time of year.

yeah, yeah! what tamlin said!
if anyone would know, tamilin would.

I have some D.filiformis cuttins taken maybe 3 weeks ago that are coming along well, it shouldn't hurt to try at least, Cath

All my outdoor stuff is slowing down, my S.flava is obviously making its winter leaves, and it has been pretty cold here already....
either way, I'll cross my fingers for ya, Sszvein
biggrin.gif

Right right, if Tamlin said it, then there's no way it can't true.

Leaf cuttings? Hum, I haden't thought about it, but it makes sense, since those leaves are being deprived of energy and would die anyway. Could be an idea.

Thanks Carl! Will be needing it.

Back