What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i?

Can I put sphagnum moss all around droseras?

Yes you can, but I would advise against it in most circumstances, if you are talking about LIVE sphagnum moss.  What drosera are you growing??  I've only had success applying live moss to schizandra, prolifera, and D. x 'California Sunset'.

-Homer

Sorry to disagree Homer but I frequently use it as a top dressing, it has great antifungal qualities that are of benefit. If the moss is live it should be run through a food processor first: this sets back the head formation for pretty much a whole growing season and after this it may be trimmed back as needed.

ahhh, the food processor. I'll remember that. I should grind me up some today. Does the antifungal qualities work against slime mold??

-Homer

It seems to lessen the occurence of algae, slime mold and mosses, much like mulch in a garden keeps down weeds.   Milled live moss is excellent.  I especially like the short growing dense red form for this, and some species I grow in it as a pure substrate.  Shpagnum moss is well know for its antibacterial and antifungal properties, although it tends to be a "lean" mix.  I talked about this on an off topic "aside" on the "Does anyone suscriber to the CP Listserve" topic if you want to read more on the subject.  I have yet to find a CP species that did not appreciate some LFS in the mix. (Probably Byblis and Drosophyllum would object since they seem to resent wet media, or so I have heard)  It also helps keep the Ph acidic, which most CP appreciate.  I would be lost without the stuff!

Its dead moss jejeje And the plants are d. adalea and d. binata.

I have had problems with slime covering long fibered sphagnum. When I sowed some capensis "giant" seeds on milled sphagnum, the plants did not grow until I transfered them to a peat:sand:perlite mix...

antifungal? ANTIFUNGAL? Maybe in your weather Tamlin...
confused.gif

Back