What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I use this sand?

• Thread starter peter
  • Start date
Hey, I just recently bought a bag of play sand for my hermit crabs, and had alot left over so I was wondering if the vinger test is a good enough indication on wether or not you can use it. Because I tried that and no bubbles formed or nothing overnight.

The consensus on sand is that play sand is NOT good for CP's because it is bleached. Two types most suggested are: sandblasting sand and poolfilter sand. The latter seems to be more accessible. I found mine at a patio place. A 50 lb.bag cost me $4. Good luck!

I use playsand , its a big clear platic bag with white sand in it , i have no problems using this sand so maybe you can use yours too
smile.gif

Play sand is well washed and can be used on Carnivorous Plants.

:: Electric Carnivores ::

I just bought some sand At home depot this weekend and it had about 25 uses on the back one of them said propigating sand. There was three sizes I got the thirty grade, I wanted the largest I think that one would have the best drainage. The one I got was the middle grit.

Someone posted that they used playsand and it nearly ruined their plants. An employee at Home Depot said that the sand is bleached. Perhaps vigorous washing is will remove the impurities.

I just got done using Home Depot sand, and although I DID wash it, it wasn't necessary. I know some people that propigate sars in this all the time without washing it and have no problem.

Back