What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i get a nep id?

There wasn't much going on in the "Identify That Plant!" forum, so I thought I would try here...

I bought this plant labelled as N. ventricosa. Now that it has pitchered, I really don't think so. It looks more like my N. ventrata to me.

What do you think?

1637498NepPic.jpg

It is possible to identify nepenthes in the lab.The scientist will be looking for the key link.I was told it was a tedious process.

I would still vote ventricosa. The full-size pitchers will be easier to ID.

It looks like ventrata to me.

There is a big issue with at least one of the big TC mass production nurseries (is it De Roos?) selling plants that are hybrids by the female parent name. Something to protect IP rights (as a lawyer I'm very sceptical about this).

So what they do is sell ventricosa x alata as ventricosa, tobaica x khasiana as tobaica etc. I don't understand how they can do this. In all States and Territories in Australia, this would be illegal as it would breach fair trading legislation (what you sell must be what you say it is). I'm sure it would be much the same in the US and Europe??

Hamish

Yes, the DeRoose nurseries do pose a problem with their naming...but the plants they sell are kind of vigorous and pleasing to look at. This ventrata(my opinion) looks to be a very nice specimen.

Cheers,

Joe

One way people tend to try and get around the whole issue of selling what you advertise is with disclaimers that say "there is no guarantee that plant identifications are correct" and stuff like that, but what Deroose seems to be saying sounds like a bunch of bull hockey to me too.

-D. Lybrand

My only real-life experience is with one ventricosa and one ventrata, so I could be completely off... but my ventricosa has two traits my ventrata doesn't: prominent speckles, and wide floppy lids. The pic above has both.

For what it's worth *shrug*.

It looks just like my N. ventricosa, and I bought my from a CP dealer that is reliable.  

Brian

Back