What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can fish go in this topic too?

• Thread starter Shauntell
  • Start date
Can fish go in this topic too? They do live in fish tanks which a lot of plants live in and their are lots of underwater plants and coral and all kinds of beautiful creatures that I'm sure I could find things to talk about. Anybody else?

My personal feeling that fish could be included, but only if they were part of a terrarium, not aquarium. A terrarium by name means a land habitat, Whereas an aquarium is a water habitat. Since this is the PFT forum and centers around CPs and their keeping, I'm not sure if coral and salt water topics are really pertinent here. Any other thoughts?

I don't see why not.
As for fish as part of a terrarium, I've been trying to put guppies into the water dish of my lizard to keep it clear of algae - and found that he really likes guppies. I suppose that's good, they make a fine source of calcium.
biggrin.gif

DOn't get me wrong here...I just meant that we should probably stick to habitats that are true terraria. These could/should easily include a water protion, which can have fish in it. My thought was that salt water aquarium discussions don't necessarily have a relevancy to a CP forum, since CPs don't grow in salt water.

That said - BRING ON THE FISH!

I agree with houston to a point, but would also like to point out that there are other disscussion gropus on this site that have nothing to do with CP. As well, there are aquatic CPs (which this site keeps teasing me with saying "comming soon")
So, maybe this would be the place for fish discussions, or if not, perhaps a new fish and aquatic plants group needs to be added???

Just a thought

Mae

Yay, lets talk about fishies!
Anybody raise Cichlids? They're my favs. I use to breed them while in High School.
biggrin.gif

I have many fish in my 30 gallon aquarium. I also like cichlids,but don't grow them. My favorate is my Pacu, which I got around 2 month ago. It was the size of a silver dollar when I got it, now it is 6-8 in. long!,eats 1 cm wide and 1 in. long tubifex worm blocks, but won't eat my small 1 in. tetras!
Spectabilis73

Tetras? What kind of tetras?

I used to have neon tetras. I have a black tetra and a bunch of these fish I've had for so long I don't know what they are, giant danios (I'm not sure if the danios are tetras) ,but my pacus won't eat any of the fish.(they look like paranas) I hand feed them all the time. (sometimes the pacus bite my fingers&#33
wink.gif

Spectabilis73
biggrin.gif

P.S. I used to have alot of tetras, but when I moved, most died
sad.gif

You can have an underwater Vivarium... Fish may be included...

<sigh>

I miss my fish... only have 3 goldfish now, used to have 20, and 5 30g tropical tanks with everything from loaches to guppies to shrip to a ghostknife. Couldn't take them with me when I moved... or the plants (those I miss almost as much esspecially the egyptian lilly)

All have good homes now though.

I have to say though, I am glad to see Iam not alone on this board, I eas begining to thonk I was one of the very few people here that was interested in fish and underwater plants. But I'm not!!!
biggrin.gif

im not sure if this is ok but i have a bunch of coi.

I would love to have more fish but most wouldn't get along with my beta. Plants I can't wait to get into but I have to get a completely different hood so that I can put flourescents in. Don't cichlids have to be kept alone. I thought that I read somewhere that they only get along with other cichlids. I love koi. They are so beautiful and brave. I'm glad lots of people are into fish and underwater non cp plants too. Shauntell

Shauntell, get the hood, get the plants, you'll love them. As for fish that go well with betta most small tetra's (neon, lemon, etc) guppies, mollies, swords, goldfish depending on the tank size and water temps.

My favorite setup was based around my betta.

30g 5 guppies, 3 serpae, 3 black neon, 3 jumbo neon, 3 blackskirts, 2 mollies, 5 silver tips, a dwarf frog, and of course my Betta.

Add to that my 2 egyptian lillies, 1 banana plant, 3 amazon swords, hygrophyillia, and corkscrew grass.

The combination of the fish with the plants was stunning.

be careful with the molly (If it's a black molly) . I had to seperate them ( belive it or not the betta was the one in very bad shape) If I waited another day he would have died  . I think the molly did it.  
sad.gif

I have an arowana fish , they are pretty expensive and prehistoric. they bring good luck and make great pets .but the problem is that they get big , and they eat alot , before i has the arownan i had 5 pacu then i gave them to my japanese to make his addtion to his pond but they died , before i had them i had cichlids that kept attacking eachother so i traded them to the aquarium witch they gave me 5 bucks for them , good time because the store was trying to get rid of some of the fish do they gave me 5 pacu that were 5 - 6 inches for them . before that i had a 60 gallon tank that was filled with , goldfish , carp , plecostomus , catfish , crawfish , green sunfish , tilapia , but I gave them all to my japanese friend again . before that i just had goldfish and koi but they died , but before that my dad raised arowana , witch was a really hard job because he did'nt think before he brought them .

for those who never saw an arowana before , heres a picture of the common type you see in the petstores , a silver arowana :
E05005.jpg
wow he looks exactly like the one I have for more info go to this website arowanas

That's cool that mollies can go with betas. I really like mollies but thought because of their fin length that they wouldn't get along. I love tetras too. I had those before when I was a kid.

Hey Maehem, it sounds like you had a beautiful setup. Do you still have it?
I was looking in this magazine at the different plants that you can get. Oh, some of the colors. First I want to read up on what plants are beneficial to certain fish. I've heard that some underwater plants have medicinal properties to them and can contribute to the health and life span of your fish. They also can prevent diseases, but I have no idea which ones. Shauntell

Unfortunately, no.. had to leave the setup in B.C. when we moved, international border/quarantine and all, since then we just haven't had a permanent enough home to set up similar again, fiance's work moves us around alot.

As for the plants, I seem to remember hearing something about medicial properties of plants, but I can't remember where or what... all plants reduce disease to some extent by keeping the water more balanced. I will have to look into that.

Back