What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calyfcida

Sorry I have so many questions as lately...
ok I've had this u. calyfcida (yog sooth) since april. Its stayed alive, but the leaves are kinda yellow. The strange part is it stays in the same conditions as my thriving u. longifolia (I thought they needed the same care) except it gets more water. Is that the problem? thanks
Matt
btw...
temps are around the 70s-80s, bright light, humidity very high

what kind of soil do you have it in? my calycifida "Mrs. Marsh" and "Yog-sooth" like the fairly open mix of fluffed LFS. i take divisions often enough that it doesnt get a chance to compact. other than that its in temps between 65-75, 40-50% humidity and bright light kept continually wet in shallow pots in a tray system..

hm... I left it in what it came in... and I trusted that D'amato had it in something good. (so whatever is in the savage garden for utrics, meaning peat and sand probably)

the number one rule of growing plants is "not everything works for everyone". im going to assume that there is something different between your growing techniques and Peter D's, a fairly safe bet. so while the peat/sand mix works for Peter its not nessisarily going to work for you. my experiance so far is that this species enjoys an open mix so first suggestion would be to go the fluffed LFS route. calycifida is a quick grower so when you hit on a combo of conditions it likes you wil know within a few weeks i would bet. also the vast majority of Utric species, especially terrestrials MUST be divided on a fairly regular basis for them to do well, especially in a fairly small pot. i like to transplant most of mine atleast every six monts unless its one like sandersonii or livida that im constantly taking chunks out to give to ppl. in which case they spread into freash media that i place in the holes left by the chunk of plant material and soil taken out.

My 'Yog-Sothoth' was in decline ever since I got it for many months until I transplanted it into some peat and silica sand mixture. Since then its taken off and is doing very very well. I originally planted it in a Nepenthes type mixture, but that didn't obviously work me. Go figure
smile_l_32.gif

-Homer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (homer @ Dec. 31 2004,10:57)]My 'Yog-Sothoth' was ...
Thanks Homer! I couldn't recall the correct name and it was driving me nuts trying to remember. H. P. Lovecraft scared the do-wah-didley out of me as a kid (I read the stories anyway), so the name was rattling around in my head somewhere. Just couldn't pin it down
smile_n_32.gif
!

see what did i tell yah, Homer and I have had excellent results with opposite mixes. since Homers version doesnt seem to work for you its time to try something different. who knows maybe it will be something else.

Back