What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Relax.. I just wanted to post these pictures to make sure that my neps are healthy since I haven't got much experience with neps so I can't recognize bad signs when I see them.

Patient 1: Nepenthes ventricosa 'red pitchers'
Neps.jpg

Lots of big pitchers, some are drooling actually, seems to be happy but kinda ugly.. the back leaves (the ones that are bent towards the wall) were squeezed up against the top of a terrarium for months until I flipped the terrarium on it's side for my top space... so the new leaves were all tangled, I had to untangle them when I noticed it... anywhoo is it healthy? I think (and hope) that it is. Oh and also, there seems to be a hole at the base of it and I can actually look in and see some roots. o_O I dunno how it got there.. but if it's bad I'm going to fill it in, is it bad?

I'm gonna need to hang that pot soon. x_x

Patient 2: Nepenthes sanguinea 'orange pitchers'
sanguinea.jpg

I really think this one is healthy because it has nice colored pitchers and leaves.. the only thing that sorta bothers me is the way it's growing.. if you look underneath the green leaves there's a crown of dead leaves underneath, they could just be old leaves.. or it could be a sign of something wrong with it?

Patient 3: Nepenthes sanguinea 'orange pitchers' (formal basal shoot of above plant)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/SilverKiento/babysanguinea.jpg
First off, I know that is a TERRIBLE picture.. bad angle and out of focus and just eugh.. I have no worries with this little guy. Considering what it's been through (being ripped from the parent plant and nearly eaten by a dog) I'm thinking it is pretty tough and is fine... but I figured I'd post it anyways.

All of my neps are currently drooling.. I mean that literally too, the one pitcher has a hardened bubble of nectar stuck to the side. I'm thinking of buying a couple meal worms to feed them.

So... how are my neps?

they look OK to me. however...leaves on those Sanguinea shouldnt die that fast. mine(also the Orange variety) has 7 leaves on it....all green and healthy. its also about the same age as yours maby a bit older.
Alex

They all look healthy to me.

Just need a trim! :banana2:

Ahh that's good! Then trim I shall!

glider14, I don't think the leaves die fast they just.. stick around even after they die, lol. I always thought there should be more leaves as well but it has 5 good leaves and 3 beautiful pitchers so I guess that counts as healthy?

I just noticed one thing that is bugging me.. when I went to count the leaves on my sanguinea the dark leaf on the right.. is turning black but it looks suspicious.. they way it's turning black.. it's like.. fading to black instead of just drying out. It has retained most of it's texture too... is there anything more to that?

They all look healthy to me.

Just need a trim! :banana2:

Yeah, I always trim mine very quickly! All those dead leaves are driving me nuts! Otherwise, the neps look great. I'm sure they will start to look even better on your new grow rack.

xvart.

edit:
I just noticed one thing that is bugging me.. when I went to count the leaves on my sanguinea the dark leaf on the right.. is turning black but it looks suspicious.. they way it's turning black.. it's like.. fading to black instead of just drying out. It has retained most of it's texture too... is there anything more to that?

When my leaves die, they turn sort of yellowish and then start to speckle in blackish. This usally only happens on leaves that don't have a pitcher, or on a leave where I already cut the pitcher off because it rotted already. Eventually it just fades black; but, as I mentioned above, I typically trim before it gets too bad.

If you trim, make sure you sterilize the cutting instrument before and after you trim each plant to eliminate yourself as a vector to transmit possible diseases.

If you trim, make sure you sterilize the cutting instrument before and after you trim each plant to eliminate yourself as a vector to transmit possible diseases.

ARE YOU CALLING ME DISEASED?! Lol, just kidding. I'll make sure to dip whatever scissors or knife I use before and after I trim. Thanks for the tip!

And whew.. the suspicious black leaf is normal. Awesome. Thanks!

They look fine to me. Give the ventricosa some room and it should start to grow fine.

I am with Xvart and others. TRIM OFF THOS DEAD LEAVES. If you can get yourself a good pair of trimming shears and flame them between each plant. I dunno what your dipping them in to kill things, but if you use that metthod you need to have a few pairs of shears to rotate. Just a quick dip is not good enough to kill some things. Flaming with a torch ir the fastest way to sterilize cutting tools. Unless you decide to spend 5 bucks on 100 razor plades from lowes and use a fresh one on each plant.

For now I'll just use some scissors soaked in alcohol for a bit. Then I'll get some good sheers.

Is it reeeally neccessary to sterilize between each plant?

I figured if one was diseased the others would catch it just from being close..?

Back