What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cacti/succulent IDs needed

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So the other day I found a bunch of cheap cacti looking neglected at the grocery store. Can anybody identify them for me?

Thanks everyone.
~Joe

Aw, no hints? Maybe I should repost to the ID forum...
~Joe

I was never into the spikey guys much but I know that one with the long gray hair is an "old man cactus"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cephalocereus_senilis

More light less water will make it grow more hair & shrink the fleshy part down a bit so it's almost all hair. I'd like to get one and put a tiny top hat and sunglasses on it to have my own "Cousin It"! :D

I think the gray one with the fuzzy leaves is a Cotyledon of some kind

That is not senilis.
Try Epostoa lanata
The upper right is Kalachoe tomentosa Panda Plant
I will have to look closer later
You just might be stuck until they bloom
Phil

Nice, thanks guys. I was pretty sure about the Old Man's Beard. I think swords might be closer on that one, though - it's fuzzier than Espostoa, the lobes are further apart, and the spines are red and more pronounced. I think the smaller round ones are some manner of barrel cactus, but there's at least two types there. The one with criss-crossed spines is intriguing.
The two that really confuse me are the one with the long hooked spines and other with short black spines (which, by the way, give extraordinarily itchy scratches.) Kalanchoe tomentosa was also a first bet of mine... fairly certain it's some sort of Kalanchoe at least. Any other help would be great, although this should already be enough for me to at least make some preliminary tags. Thanks again!
~Joe

Back