What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cacti Confusion.

Hello everyone, first of let me say its great to be back after a 2 week break :boogie: . Now the question to be addressed in this thread is, What Cacti's look for in substrate? im talking like what kind of ph, sand, perlite, etc etc. What kind of substrate seedlings need? What kind of wattage am i looking at for indoor growing during winter? thanks for all the help, great to be back!

There are as many mixes as growers...not to mention that everyone sais has the best mix. It might be surprising but in part is true! Why? because the cactus, in general, don't care much about the soil mix....as long as they have some nutrient inside. I use to grow them well in regular potting soil and sand, about one part of each. You can also try the mix that they have in the garden centers or just take some soil from your garden and mixed up with course sand. For seeds just use a fine sand. If you live in a colder climate, like i had, just give them colder temp 4-8C (do the math for F) and decent light (not intense) during winter time. Also you have to stop watering! I use to water them 2 or 3 times from oct. to march and they use to shrink to half in size. With the first watering in the spring and the outside in full sun placing, they would come back to size and flower in a few weeks. It is nothing dificult, you just have to remember that during the winter, if the soil is moist the evaporation is slower in the cool conditions and it may lead to root rot if the soil humidity persists for a week or 2. It helps to use clay unglazed pots since they loose water easyer.
hope this helps!

thankyou it has!

im thinking of doing something like

2 parts dried COCO fiber
1 part clay
2 parts sand

would that be sufficient?

It might....but you probably going to add some nutrients in the mix since they are not carnivorous plants and they do better with them. I would not go with the coco fiber...regular soil i think is better....but try it, maybe you will descover something new.

yea but where am i going to get normal soil?

i make all my own substrates for the most part

whats a good way to add nutrients to Coco fiber?

What is the clay that you would add and why do you want to include it?

Back