What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis seed germination

Cindy

Staff member
..using PinguiculaMan's Byblis Germination Method (P.M.B.G.M.).  
smile_m_32.gif

What I did:
1. Poured one inch of hot water ~176degF (80degC) into cup.
2. Placed about 30-40 seeds into hot water. Saw purple pigment leaching out from seeds. Quite pretty, actually.
3. Left seeds in the water for 3hrs.
4. Washed with bleach solution. But did not notice any pigment leached.
4. Rinsed seeds with lukewarm (~105degF) water until there was no scent of bleach.
5. Soaked seeds in clean water for an hour.
6. Sown into 3 pots of peat/perlite/sand mix, live sphagnum and LFS.
7. Placed 2 pots (peat/perlite/sand mix & live sphagnum) under FL. LFS pot is in natural light.

It is now 60hrs from sowing and there is no sign of germination.

Worried that I might have killed the seeds with excess heat or excess bleach, I took one an hour ago and gave it a little poke with the tip of a knife. Just to make sure it was not rotting.

A nice tiny little white seed popped out! It didn't look like it was dead and rotting and I placed it back on the media. The white paper where I placed the seed (with seed coat) originally was stained with the purple pigment.

OK, Pingman. Should I have soaked the seeds longer at Step 3 and/or Step 5? I guess there is still the purple pigment to prevent them from germinating quickly. And were your seeds placed in a hot place? Heat helps the seed coat break down faster, right?

I have moved the pots closer to the lights and is misting the seeds with water every few hours.
biggrin.gif

Others who have tried, any comments?

I did the same method as you, but for step 3. I left it for 5 hours, mainly because I had to go somewhere :p and for step 5, I just did a quick wash. Maybe 5 mins

I recently sowed some Byblis seeds without using this method. Hopefully I'll see germination soon. If not, I'll know what to try next!

Sounds good so far, now we wait. Waiting; the hardest part.

Ain't it the truth. Although perhaps it's the waiting that makes growing CPs so rewarding...

Are these tips for B. gigantea? B. liniflora should not need any special treatment to get them to germinate. I have been trying for several years to germinate B. gigantea and have only ever had one seed germinate which promptly damped off. If this is a way to get gigantea to grow then I'll be giving it a try.

Nope, those tips are for B.liniflora. It's supposed to make them germinated in 24 hours or in a week. Mine took 2 or 3 weeks, but that's probably cause they weren't fresh.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Mine took 2 or 3 weeks, but that's probably cause they weren't fresh.

That's good to know, because my seeds are approaching their second week of not germinating. There's still hope!

My byblis had a big meal
smile.gif
, 3 midgeflies ( i think) and one mayfly.

I wish I had a byblis! Just that there's no more room in the 10 gal......
smile_h_32.gif

Thanks! I feel more assured now. I was checking the pots every few hours! LOL

In fact, I thought I could celebrate just now but realised it was green mould on one of the seeds! The weather here is extremely humid, constantly 85% and above. And it is cool at 77degF. Yup, that is cool for us.

The sun is out today, I have hope yet!  
smile.gif

Back