What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis liniflora germination....

I checked my Byblis seeds today and to my surprise, ONE GERMINATED! This is awesome! I didn't think they would germinate again but at least one of them pulled through for me! Now I just gotta wait for my ping seeds to germinate...yeesh...

Hey Chrono. Congratulations! I just sowed some Byblis seed not five minutes ago. How long did yours take for germination and how many seeds did you start with?

-D. Lybrand

I started with ten seeds. I sowed them on June 27th and they germinated July 22nd! That's less than a month! I even made an estimate of when they would germinate and that date was July 20th. Wow I was close!

Thanks for the congrats! I'm REALLY happy!

Congrats! Seed germination isn't terribly predictible.

Congrats man- the seedlings don't look like black hairy threads, though, do they
biggrin.gif
confused.gif
?

Seriously, though, good work, I just recently added this one to my collection through seed as wel and was pleased as punch to see the little fellow starting to make wee tentacles

Nope! Not black hair threads, I can say that much! It's just a little green thing, it's not even sticking straight up in the air quite yet. It actually looks to be laying on it's side right now. So young!

Byblis liniflora seed can be germinated in just a few days (3-4) if you first soak the seed in hot water and then use a weak bleach solution to remove all the dark purple pigment from the seed just prior to sowing them. Apparently the pigment in the seed testa (seed coat) proves to be a germination inhibitor, though a weak one. After the pigment is rinsed out don't forget a final rinse with plain water to remove the remaining bleach solution.

Interesting information, Pinguiculaman, if mine ever gets big enough to make seeds I'm gonna do that for sure- thanks for posting that!! (and welcome back from wherever you went by the way)

PinguiculaMan--when you say a weak bleach solution--what's your formula/recipe?

1::10; 1 part bleach to 10 parts water

-------------------

I first put the seeds in a tea cup, pour water (hot, but not too hot to touch) enough to cover the seed about 1 inch deep. Let them soak for several hours (this is the first stage of germination -- called imbibition) to initiate the germination process. Then I put a paper towel in a plastic funnel, pour the seed out onto the paper in the funnel so the liquid drains off, then I used a plastic irrigation bottle with a 1::10 bleach solution to wash the seed until no more purple pigment leached from the seed. I then returned the seed to the cup and soaked them again in water to rinse off most of the bleach. Then I sowed them on the surface of moist peat moss and placed them into a ziploc bag under fluorescent lights. They germinated in less than 24 hours.

-----------

I discovered this by accident, when I was preparing some seed to sow in vitro I noticed there was purple leaching into the paper towel from the seed, so I continued the bleach rinse until it had all leached out of the seed and into the paper towel. After preparing the seed to sow I then planted half in moist peat moss and the other half in petri dishes of sterile nutrient agar. Wow, was I surprised when they all germinated within 24 hours.

Thanks for the ratio--I think even I can handle that--there just might be better living through chemistry!
smile_n_32.gif

Mike

PinguiculaMan, that's amazing!!! I'll have to try that when my byblis gives me some seeds! It's a fairly simple process too! I have one question though, what's an irrigation bottle?

You should really get these instructions put on the drosera forum as a sticky, I know a lot of people don't know how to germinate byblis correctly and this is a huge breakthrough! Germination in 24 hours! WOW!

this is amazing i new discovery, i wonder if it works on those imposible-to-germinate drosophylum lusticanum seeds?
smile_k_ani_32.gif

a new discovery, typo, it almost sounds greedy
biggrin.gif
smile_h_32.gif

Sounds like a very nice germination technique; thank you. I'll have to try it on a portion of the seed next time I have some.

Oh..it's just like a little sports bottle.. gotcha.

"Germination in 24 hours!" Is possible to setup a competitions for germination?

Perhaps I should have asked the following question earlier (a bit of backgroud info first):

I sowed B.liniflora seed on 7-1-05. The seed were placed in GA3 for 24h and thereafter placed on the surface of a 1:1 peat:sand mix covered by translucent plastic. The pots are kept constantly moist (sitting in an open water tray) 5" under 80W cool white fluorescent lights (15h photoperiod).

It's been ~1 month, and none of the seed have germinated. The seed appear normal and I've been told patience is a necessary virtue with byblis seed!

However, I was wondering whether your (PinguiculaMan) method could be applied to the seed now? Have you ever tried this method on already-sown seed?

Thanks,

I thought I'd just post a picture now that I actually know how to use my camera correctly. (Thanks to Luis.)

Byblislini0809.jpg

As if I needed watermarks. xD

Back