What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis liniflora germination & cultivation

jimscott

Tropical Fish Enthusiast
I germinated Byblis liniflora seeds last year and throughout time I watched my plants die out one by one. They struggled when I had the cover off. I them it in my plastic pipette dispenser containers and had a little trouble maintaining humidity for them.

Another batch of seeds never even germinated.

I want to try sprinkling the seeds in wet, live, LFS. Do you think it will work? Will it be too wet for them? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck with them Scott, I may be counting on you.
smile_m_32.gif

stupid Byblis never germinated for me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ May 31 2005,11:48)]Good luck with them Scott, I may be counting on you.
smile_m_32.gif
For a second there, I thought you were going to tell me not to experiment. I haven't done anything yet. Still in the packet. I'll wait for responses and maybe split them up into two approaches.

Mine do fine in LFS...
They take a long time to germinate (my last batch took over a month and a half).

Hmmm. That first time it took only a week to germinate. Beginners luck?

Wow, Maybe I'm doing something wrong! Mine never germinate that quickly.

Aside from skill level of the person doing the germinating and materials, there are other variables to consider - like freshness and viability of seed, let alone the characteristics of the plants themselves.

Once I received some P. luscitanica seeds from an individual. Absolutely nothing germinated, after waiting several months. After that, I received a packet from someone else and within a few weeks, I got 10 seedlings.

There is more than meets the eye with seed germination.

i put mine on 2 parts sand 1 part peat and stick them in the back of the tank and they sprout within a month.

They can germinate and grow in water, entirely without media. I still have seed I collected in 1986 that germinates easily and quickly, within a week to 10 days.

Live, swampy LFS it is! Thank you all!

I think I'll be trying that as well.

Back