What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Byblis germination.

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
as noted before in the general topic, pingman was kind enough to provide me with some Byblis liniflora seeds. they were planted on 10/24/02 and as of right now. all 5 seeds that were planted have sprouted. 4 were up at least 5 days ago and the fifth 2 days ago. as germination is so exciting anyway I found this to be a bit extreme. why? you may ask. get ready. he gathered this seed from plants he grew. and the seed was collected in 1987!!! that would mean Byblis seeds that are 15 years old can still hold a 100% germination. GREAT JOB JOSEPH!!! or maybe I am just good at picking out 5 seeds that I know will germinate...
tounge.gif
haha jk. thanks again man! I can't wait for my next visit.
later
Andrew
ps if someone is interested in seeing the seedlings and can host a pic for me i would be glad to send you one to put on this page!

hey i remembered i had some web space from our verry own pft.com! :)  so here is a pic of my biggest seedling.  ...which is still pretty small..  hehe
Untitled-2%20copy.jpg

andrew

Wow! 15 years... Those seeds are older than I am!
sad.gif

wink.gif

Cole

Byblis liniflora grows in a very harsh environment and has evolved seed that can withstand long periods of extreme dry heat, before the next good rains come (this is often more than a year). Tough seed for surviving in a tough place. 15 years is impressive though, I've heard similar stories of Drosophyllum seeds remaining viable for similar lengths of time too.

Vic

Andrew
Thanks for sharing your experience with these little gems. I hope they continue to grow well for you.

I too find the germination process for all plants exciting, and Byblis liniflora is an especially nice one because it often germinates quite rapidly which overcomes, in part, the frustration that comes with trying to germinate some of the more reluctant species. Now, if only more of the less common Drosera species were quicker to germinate and grow.

Back