What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

burnt N. puna

neon-eon

Stop having a boring tuna, stop having a boring li
I went into my greenhouse yesterday, and found that the new emerging leaf on my N. puna was entirely blackened except for the base. It didn't take long for me to figure out that I had accidentally placed my greenhouse heater too close to the plant. I'm wondering if I should cut off the new burnt leaf to incourage a new one to grow, or if I should just leave it alone?...also, about how long do you think it will take until a new leaf will emerge to replace the burnt one?

-thanks
-Gabe

A new one will grow weather you cut the burnt leaf off or not as long as there's no real damage. If there is damage to the meristem, a dormant node will activate.

As long as the meristem wasn't damaged it will take the amount of time it would have taken the burnt leaf to grow and develop before the next one starts poking it's head out. Don't worry about it, but be more careful with your heater :(

OK, thanks, yeah, the base of the burnt leaf is still green so it should probably recover just fine (I just like that extra reassurance.)...my greenhouse electrical setup is a nightmare...first, I don't even have the proper kind of heater, and I've got unprotected wires everywhere, so when rain leaks onto the lower deck, I have to move all of the wires and the heater...I really need to start looking for a safer setup before I electrocute my self...

-Thanks,
-Gabe

Back