What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulbs

• Thread starter dewy
  • Start date
I got some cool white bulbs that have a 4200K Kelvin rating with 1200 lumens. Is this the right spectrum for growing cp's under?

Yes. I use only cool white fluorescent lights to grow all my CPs (and many other plants) for the past couple of years. They are all thriving and appropriately colored. I use only cool whites because I can easily find these in most stores, whereas the warm whites are harder for me to find.

I've found that when growing plants under fluorescent lights, intensity is more important than spectrum. Your tubes put out 1200 lumens so they sound like they're 20-25W bulbs. For my terraria, I use the following wattages:

10gal = 40W
20gal = 80W
35gal = 120W
55gal = 160W

Best of luck.

So would it be safe to assume that the two 15 watt (total of 30 watts) tubes I have over my 5 gallon tank will continue to be sufficient? The reason I ask is because on some other forum some dude said that I should have more light in my terrarium.

More light is always better, depending on the type and genera of plants you are growing.

Sam

I missed your reply....sorry.

From your other post, seems like you went ahead and got 2 19W compacts. I'd stick with this because as many have already said: "more light is better."

But if your tank is overheating (as you said in your other post) and its causing major problems, going back to the 2 15W setup should be fine for most plants.....except maybe the VFT which, at least for me, seems to need a LOT of artificial lighting in order to do well.

Good luck.

Back