What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building a terrarium - help!

I want to build a terrarium in a square tank, with the substrate sloping up the back side and water at the bottom. But what should i use? Some of it is going to be under the water, at least 6 inches of it. What can i use that wont get waterlogged and still gives drainage to the plants? Or wouldnt erode into the water? i have a picture to give an idea of what im talking about.

LFS and coconut fiber might help it not erode. you can cover bare soil with utrics so their roots will hold the soil together.

the soil under the water/near the water will start to stink after awhile. it would be better to use glass to seperate the soil from water to prevent that, as well as to keep the water clear.

water SPARINGLY in a terrarium like that, or better yet go greenhouse style.

i was thinking of putting rocks up at the bottom as a wall. is there any sort of glue i can use that is not harmful? there will be a few small fish in the water.

silicon. you can find it at a petstore/aquarist shop.

it's what they use to seal tanks afterall, but i really reccomend buying a piece of glass or acrylic to seperate the substrate from the water.

that stuff really isnt toxic? i was told it was by someone, they said it cilled their fish.
smile_h_32.gif
i guess they were wrong.

Its OK, just let it stand and dry for at least 24 hrs.

Silicone is what holds all aquarium tanks together. Had it been toxic, the ability to cultivate fish would have been spared to nature only.
smile.gif

maybe they used caulk
smile.gif

Back