What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building a Reeftank

• Thread starter RamPuppy
  • Start date
Ok I see the first thing I gotta do is to start working and working hard...but I have seen some tanks when they are finished - gorgeous. I suppose it will all pay off in the end.

Wonder how the prices compare in my area. There are a ton of aquarium shops here as well.

Man do I love the way food chains work...population explodes, fish introduced to control population, fish eats something else, you freak out and buy predator to eat fish - you never know what's coming!
smile_n_32.gif
Love it...

Jason

Jason, don't get me wrong, tanks can be set up on a small budget, this is how I choose to do mine, I know others who have only spent a few hundred bucks and their tanks are incredible.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Trapper7 @ April 05 2005,12:50)]OMG RamPuppy are you rich??I know you're gonna get a discount but still that's a crapload of money:O Have fun:) *Niki*
I'm with Niki on this one! That is why I have no fish tanks at home. I can perpetuate this CP hobby on a shoestring budget because of the many generous people on this forum. All that aside, my jaw is wide open as I gaze at the fish and invertebrates. Very beautiful!

Thanks Jim, it is an expensive hobby, and not for the faint of heart... the thought of losing a helfrichi firefish (at 150$ a piece) is enough to give most people coniptions... but with this as the hobby, and wouldn't you know it, finding that the rarest firefish is your favorite firefish (I could care less if it's rare, I am not into it for a status symbol) can be somewhat disheartening...

I know a Guy who recently lost an 850 dollar interuptus angelfish... ouch. I don't think I could deal with that.

LOL! I like the plain old Fire Fish! The purple one is cute, too. But I know what you mean. When I had the wholesaler job, I was given the opportunity to take care of the salt section. I never had a salt tank at home, so these fish and inverts that I brought in each week were my babies, as it were. I had an affinity for the unusual - the ribbon eels, anglers, marine betta, dragon wrasse as well as basket & feather stars. I have to live this stuff vicariously, through you! So I am enjoying the pics and banter.

Can you explain the rock making thing again?  Not sure I follow the mold vs the rock.  When I set up my 120g I would like to try some for interesting shapes.  Also .. is the sphagetti cooked?? hehe

Tony

edit.. ok reread your rock making post again. THink I have a better idea. Guessing some of the wet sand sticks to the outside of the sand/cement mud?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RamPuppy @ April 06 2005,4:33)]I know a Guy who recently lost an 850 dollar interuptus angelfish... ouch.  I don't think I could deal with that.
Yes I suppose he only accepted it after going through fish shock treatment, surgery, and blood transfusion at the vet.

If I even got one as expensive as a few ($10) dollars I would consider setting up surveilance for it. That's why my mom likes getting the $2 ones at the pet store, you know...
smile_m_32.gif

Well looks like its going to be fun...I have seen some of the reefs (and its dwellers) at the aquarium shops here - really stunning I can tell you!

This is why I currently have only a fresh water tank with goldfish.

Years ago I had my 55 gallon tank set up as a salt water predator tank. It housed several triggers, a couple beautiful groupers, and the most awesome snowfake eel. At that time I estimated the cost of my salt water tank at between 5-7 dollars per gallon.

I still have daydreams of setting up a reef, but knowing the ammount of work and expense involved, I suspect that will remain a daydream for a while still.. lol

Beautiful pics and movies Steve.. keep em comming. I can live out my reef dreams vicariously through you lol.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks guys,

Tony, Yes, the spaghettie is cooked!
smile.gif
nice and limp, when you cure the rock, it decays in the water leaving a tunnel in the rock. And Yes, sand will stick and cure to the rock as you make it. I haven't had a chance to do anything this week. My RAM went into the shop yesterday for an engine overhaul, and I am pretty much at the mercy of my wife and family for transportation... and... I am out of screws.
smile.gif
lol... plan on picking some up on the way home tomorrow.

Yesterday afternoon while I was at work, the boss brought a lemon Tang out of quarantine, I hadn't seen him before and he is absolutely gorgeous, about the size of a 50 cent piece. Employee discount was rapidly put into effect, and the fish my wife promptly named "Tart" came home with me. I had researched and watned this fish for a while, but had been told they were somewhat rare, so I backed off. Yay for me. he was zipping back and forth along the temporary tank when I left.

I will definately keep you guys posted for vicarious pleasures as the project progresses... also, I may start another thread, since I am the 'planted tank' guru at the store now, the boss has decided we need to set up a new planted display tank. We are going to put cobalt blue, and pigeon blood discus in it, with a large school of tetras, about 20 ottocinclus, singapore wood shrimp, and siamese algae eaters in addition to a few other additions like cherry shrimp and so on. I will probably do a photo diary of this as well.

I'd definitely be interested in the planted tank diary. I'll be putting together a small low light tank for my boss's new pet supply store soon... can use all the trade secrets I can get.

Back