What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Building a mini bog.

I built a new minibog yesterday!
smile.gif

thought I would share some photos of its construction..
I ordered 20 VFT's and 2 Leucophylla "titan" from the recent PFT sale, and needed a new home for them! So I thoght I would give a bog a try..
(I ordered 20, but got 30!! thanks PFT!!
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile.gif
 )

temp-cpbog01.jpg

I went out and found a nice container..found it at a speciality pond supply nursery.
its 20" long by 15" wide by 5.5" deep.

Im trying a new potting media..(new to me)
50% peat and 50% perlite..
(actually, its probably closer to 60% peat and 40% perlite)

temp-cpbog02.jpg

filled up the container with 50/50 peat perlite then added a thin layer of LFS to the top..(the LFS is mainly to keep rain from splattering the peat all over)

temp-cpbog03.jpg

then planted!
smile.gif

the 4 bigger VFTs arent from the PFT sale, they are a home-depot special that has been growing all year..I divided up the one pot into 4 nice plants!
So there are 34 VFTs total in the pot!
(30 from the PFT sale plus the other 4)
the 2 Titans are in the back.

temp-cpbog04.jpg

I wanted to try to find a container that had that "half a wine barrel" look, but couldnt find anything nice..
so I decorated it myself!
I got a cedar "shelf liner" from Home depot..it was only $4 and had 3 cedar boards..I cut the boards in half then cut them in 5.25" lengths..then placed them around the planter!
in these photos the boards are just sitting loose, im still going to attach them and straighten them up, they look a little messy still in these photos..

temp-cpbog05.jpg

temp-cpbog06.jpg

Im still not sure how high I want the water level to be..
I drilled several holes in the back about 1.5" down from the top..im thinking that might be too high of a water table, I will probably drill lower holes at the 2.5" mark so the bog is 50% filled..im still uncertain on the whole water table height issue..
I plan to top-water daily with rain water..

thats it for now!
I will post new photo as things grow!
Summer has just about started here, we still have a good 3 months until Autumn sets in..plenty of time for things to get well established!

Scot

awesome bog! can you post it in the "bog pictures" thread (maybe it'll get something going)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ July 09 2004,5:06)]awesome bog! can you post it in the "bog pictures" thread (maybe it'll get something going)
thanks Kirk!
I just added photos to the other thread!
smile.gif

Like the bog.
smile.gif
The cedar is a nice touch.

Back