What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

building a bog garden

ok here is what i wanna do. i want to create a bog garden. but there are a few obsticles in my way. i live north of durham north carolina, and the winters can get quite cold, with sometime over a 1ft of snow a year. in the summer it can get nice and hot. ok what and how would be the best way to create a bog garden for cp. and would it be too late. could i create one in a 5 a gallon bucket of similar container? and what type of cp should i use? plz help asap. thanks

Hi Joe

I'm not an expert but I just set up a little bog. I bought a small pond container at Lowes (figuring it was made to survive weather conditions and not crack). Other types of plastic might likely crack in the cold. You shouldn't have any problem wintering temperate plants outside. I live in VA (not toooo far from you). My VFTs and sarracenia survived the winter just fine with snow and freezing temps. My s. purpurea turned a beautiful deep maroon in the cold....it now has about 5 new pitchers.

My bog was created mainly for my sarracenia but I have 2 flytraps in there too and will add other plants as I find suitable ones. I used a mix of long fibered sphagnum moss, peat, perlite and some charcoal. So far everything is growing and doing well.

There are lots of people here who know bog gardening better than I do. Try Pyro and Flint.

Suzanne

Back