What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BugWeed.  Questions about dormancy with your

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
I know its early, but I want to get a heads up so I am prepaired. I know you grow in undrained tubs, and your plants are in ALOT of water. Do you do that during the winter too? Does it freeze where you are? Reason I am asking is, I just planted a mini bog in a rubber made tub with 8 Sarrs, few VFT, and some Dews. I'm not worried about the dews, but the VFTs and Sarrs I do not want to kill this winter. Last winter I jsut took the pots I had out of the water tray and left them till spring. They got rained on, and that was the only water they got all winter, and I only lost one plant. The plant that was lost was one that got planted at the end of the season, and wasn't established. So I can expect that. The other Alata survived and is growing again. Thanks Bug for your expert advice.

BTW again I know its early, but I am trying to be prepaired. BugWeed is not the only one who can answer this. I just know this is his growing method, and definatly would have the answer.

JB. Drowning, 24/7, 365 days a year. My leaves are 26 to 34 inches high this year. Psittacina love to be underwater too, and that is how I grow them. Took some psitts from the WYLD Rice-------you know! Barry! They were stunted from the soil base being so compacted. A couple of years in the greenhouse didn't help at all. I told him I could get them bigger within one year, and quite large in two. He did ask how, and I told him they LOVE being under water for long periods of time. Living in muck means little to no root growing resistance. His plants were pitiful. Longest leaves on these guys were 1 1/2 inches long. He gave me four, and home they went. I took them back the following year with 4 inch leaves. Suprised him for sure. This year, the leaves are already 4 inches long, and not even close to being opened. I know how to grow sarracenias. Try the wet, wet base, allowing it to loose water to eveporation during the day, and bring the water levels back up every day. They will not complain. The healthiest plants I ever saw were growing IN the water in South Carolina. They were the biggest monster flava I ever saw. Some were 42 inches and REAL robust!!!

Thats what I am going for Bugweed! I just don't want to come out to a block of ice in the winter. Thats why I asked you if it froze there. If it does will it hurt the plants? Thats the only thing I am worried aobut is a Sarrsicle, and then I loose all my beautiful Sarrs. I enjoyed your method and am growing that way this year. I just haven't totaly filled the pot with water till today. I was afraid to loose the dews, but I come to the comclusion who cares I have more in the GH. Thanks for your reply I'm still afraid of Sarrsicles though. It does freeze here in Augusta, GA.

Back