What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bug Fair

Went to the bug fair today. Here's some photos I took in the parking lot. There was also a pumpkin festival going on, so these guys were out there promoting the bug fair.

Swords, check out that awesome Australian Walking Stick, I was playing with it for a while, it's got so many spikes on it's body, felt awesome holding it.

5091211834_9819c80eeb_b.jpg

5090616207_c43c5be2a4_b.jpg

5091212578_be8e9a7124_b.jpg

5091211576_f7b4598db0_b.jpg

Also, short video here

Last edited:
Hey it's an "ET" Extatosoma tiaratum! They are so awesome aren't they!? That's a big female with all those spines the males are smooth. I love how these guys wave their arms at you like they are saying "pick me up! pick me up!" Along with the giant leafs these have got to be among the cutest, gentlest things out there in bug land. No biting, no sprays, no noises, no smells, no sudden movements/not afraid of people... I challenge anyone to play with one for a while and then still claim to hate "all" bugs. And not to mention videos like THIS of them on you tube "dancing" to techno music! LOL

There are a few forms of the Giant Australians out there, one is an amazing lichen mimic but I haven't found a source. Just living on lichen covered cork doesn't make them turn "licheny" like some people claim, I think it must be a form from a specific location.

How come we can't embed videos anymore? Anyway, heres a good David Attenborough clip on ETs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cs1Xs3Eheag&feature=related

Last edited:
Didn't make it down this weekend
But if you liked the Pomona show you have to go to the one they do at the Natural History Museum in LA if you've never been {Think it's usually in May}
It blows the Cal Poly one away / At least 4 times the size

@Larry- WOW! Great Shots.
@Swords- best. video. evar. or should i say best bug ever? oh man, it's amazing. haha.

I can't wait for Bug Day again in April. It's small, but fun, and BACPS gets a table. :-O

If there are any other bug fairs in NorCal, I'd LOVE to hear of them. ;)

Back