What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, I recently bought a Nepenthes sanguinea and a Nepenthes ramispina

The N. sanguinea actually came with a small second plant. I was going to send the small one off yesterday, but when I went to dig it out I noticed that the larger (still very small 4" diameter) plant had the entire lower half of the stem brown. It is growing new leaves from the top, and they are forming pitchers. The N. ramispina looks as healthy as can be.

They are growing in Identical everything: Same window, same soil mix (1 part each of Perlite, Vermiculite, lava rock, and peat), same water. Day-time temps are reaching into the low to mid 70's, night-time temps are low to mid 50's. Not 100% sure on humidity, but outside RH's have been low up until the last couple days. I can however notice an increase in humidity when entering the room they are in. They get aprox. 6-7 hours of direct to partially shaded sun a day, the rest of the day is bright inderect light. They are in seperate pots, and they did come from 2 different sources.

Is the plant doomed?
What can I do to save it?
What was the cause? (humidity to low?)

I would think that the RH hasn't dropped below 40-45% during the day time. Ofcourse it is higher at night.

Oh yeah, and the little one growing in the same pot is doing great. Forming new leaves and little tiny pitchers.

Wish I could take somee pictures, but my camera doesn't do well with close up stuff.

As neps get older the stem gets brown and wood like. This is normal. I remember when I first saw this and thought my plant was dying.

That always happens with older neps.

BTW: THERE IS AN EDIT BUTTON.

Back