What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bromeliads sold in pft

I was thinking about purchasing some Bromeliads, but I would need some pictures, and I was wondering if they have spikes, Some Bromeliads have spikes on the leaf and will be dangerous in my vivarium.

You could try
http://www.fcbs.org/pictures.htm
It has photos of nearly every type of bromeliad. I think the guzmania should be quite safe as the leaves are softer, greener and normally don't have spikes.
Hope this helps, Neil.

Hm......i tried looking for them, but I guess they didn't have the bromelaid, cause I couldn't find the name. Maybe I did something wrong, but I can't see their name on the list.

I understand that the Aechmea Morgana that PFT sells IS safe for a vivarium.  They have a smooth leaf and should not be a problem. We have had several people who have reptiles purchase these from PFT.
The Ananas Sugarloaf however has a sawtooth leaf and may not work for you.
Both plants are quite nice and about 12" tall. They are a great value!
biggrin.gif

i got to agree with linda , they are great plants and a great value too , i recieved my 2 bromeliads from the sale today , they were bigger then i thought , i think phil had a hard time finding a box to fit my bromeliads in
biggrin.gif
, too bad i could'nt recieved both aechema and ananas , my 2 aechema ( not sure , they were'nt labeled but as linda described it it sounds like this one ) will be sitting outside on my patio , how much light , water and humidty should i give them btw .

They will vary, but I have found that the one I received from Phil if happier under wrap and in 70 humidity.

What kind of mix did you guys pot them up in?

I wouldn't worry too much about the mix/ media, they don't care as long as it drains well. MOST are epiphytic and only use their roots to grip and hold on and it doesn't make any difference. If you try and plant them in soil that doesn't drain they'll rot at the base and you'll lose them, other than that you can use charcoal, bark chips, broken pottery chips, whatever turns you on.

I have created huge beds in my garden for my Broms and I use pure wood shavings and they are extremely happy. Look for yourself:
My Brom garden

cheers, Troy.

Thanks for the info Troy. I'm familiar with the epiphytes, but terrestrial bromeliads confuse me.
wink.gif
I potted up the ones that I got from pft in peat:perlite with a few handfuls of orchid mix thrown in the allow the water to run out a little quicker. The plugs seemed to either have peat or gro-coir in them originally so I tried to stick with something similar.

what type of temps do these bromeliads require and how low can the temp go for aechema morgana ?

Back