What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brocchinia reducta

Is there more than one variety being cultivated? My plants and most others I have seen pictures are bright green and have leaves that arch out making the plant appear very wide. Those I have seen photographed in the wild are more brightly colored and all leaves are very erect and held together to form a pitcher. Is this just a matter of not supplying enough light in cultivation or are they different plants?

not sure if there are any varieties forms, or cultivars of brochinna, but there is another carnivorous bromeliad, I think its captopsis something

No cultivars, but there might be more than one clone. I am guessing that most of the Brocchinia in culture in the U.S. originated from Triffid park.
Light might be an issue as these plants are exposed to strong uv light in its habitat.

I have a Brocchinia reducta that i brought from cooks , it's a pretty tall plant now . I have only heard of 2 species of Brocchinia , Brocchina reducta and Brocchinia tatei ( which I have not heard of anyone cultivating yet , for more info you might want to look at some old ICPS articles about new Heliamphora discoveries) The only other genus of carnivorous bromeliads that I have heard of is Catopsis betteroniana ( hope I spelled that right ) that is native to florida and south america and grows epiphytically high up on the trees .

Back