What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Britta filtered water

• Thread starter eel electric
  • Start date
E

eel electric

I have a Britta water filter, and was wondering if the filtered water is OK to give my CP's?

I have not looked at the brita filter recently. However it was my understanding that it is a mix of carbon and dionizing beads..

Anyone with a brita and a tds meter able to check if it removes dissolved solids?

On a side note even if it does work. Last time I checked, the cartridges were very expensive and not capable of purifying much water for the cost.. Probably be less expensive to buy distilled water. Or if you have a quality pet store in your area to see if they sell purified water in quantity.
Of course the cheapest if your in a good local is to just collect rainwater ;>
Tony

When I first started out on CP's I did utilize the Brita faucet filter but it was only for about 2-3 months then came distilled water while I saved for the RO unit I now use, so in short term watering I found it was fine. I even used it on a Nep. my first Nep. N. Veitchii x Truncata and that did fine with it. So I would say OK for a short while. But yeah if you could try to get it analyzed somewhere for TDS content. If it is below 100 ppm (am I correct) it is fine. Forgot what the ppm was for safe watering of CP's.

I can't say from experience, but I've heard elsewhere that it is okay to use on a short-term basis only. I don't think those filters really remove a whole lot. Kind of a scam, if you ask me.

Back