What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

branding

• Thread starter rattler
  • Start date
I figured that; I was responding to SitKristoff saying it's common in any state. I'm not sure it's so common in the east. I'm fascinated by open range laws, which I first heard about when my parents moved to AZ, where cattle have more rights than people. At least when it comes to entering someone else's property.

west of the Mississippi its pretty common, but ppl out here also run more head on more ground than most back east cause the forage is usually a lot lower quality so yah need more acres per cow.....

as for the open range laws.....basically they state here that you have to fence your land to keep cattle out, but given the steers are worth a grand at market most ranchers look to fence their cattle in, atleast around here....course if the neighbors bull repeatedly busts through your properly maintained fence and the owner of the bull refuses to do something about it you can put the animal down, just have to leave it lay, you cant take the meat or make a profit off the animal.....but you better have it well documented that its been a continuous problem....

As I understand it, cattle in AZ are pretty much free to go where ever and to do whatever they want, fence or no fence. It's a wild west artifact of legal system, but I don't mind it so much because anyone who is bothered by it probably shouldn't be living where they are.

Back