What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought a vft today

I had a VFT many years ago when i was like 8 so it didnt last very long, but i got another one today from a greenhouse. The greenhouse actually had care sheets to go along with them which is a surprise.

i'll post a pic of it soon.

are they easier or harder to keep than sarracenia?

Congrats on your new baby
smile.gif

From my experience, (what little I have) sarrs are slightly more picky with conditions than VFT's.

VFT needs are basically: stand in a tray of rain or RO/Distilled water, dont keep too cold, give it some sun.

If you're gonna put it outside, you'll want to do this slowly, to let it get accustomed to unfiltered sunshine a tad at a time.

/Quensel

P.S If there is anything in that care sheet about feding it hamburger or anything, throw that paper away
smile_m_32.gif

nothing about hamburger
here is what it says

care of the VFT is very easy, these plants will take care of themselves as far as feeding. did you know that a trap only requires a few insects a year? give them a lot of sunlight and water, it will amaze you how they grow and function. as these plants mature their traps will turn black. all you have to do is cut the black traps off and watch as new traps appear in about six weeks.

in the winter months you can cut the black traps off and let your flytrap go dormant for the winter. to let your trap go dormant, cut back all the leaves, put the bulb (corm) in a ziplock bag and place in the fridge for about 60 days.

take the trap from the fridge and repot. place pot in dish of water and in a window with good sunlight. you will be amazed at how fast your fly trap grows.

also the side of the pot it came in said only rain or distilled water

Cool, I've never experienced decent care tips from stores
smile.gif

When I got my first, what I was told was 'water it once a week, feed it ground beef on a toothpick, and maybe you can get it to flower! By the way, thats really exciting, cos you never know what colour you'll get on the flowers! I got 8 different colors so far on mine!'

I dont go to that store anymore.

/Quensel

WELL it hasnt even been one day and my cat RUINED IT
mad.gif

i found it on the kitchen floor, all the traps were shut and some damaged. I AM GOING TO KILL MY GOD darn CAT.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]cos you never know what colour you'll get on the flowers! I got 8 different colors so far on mine!
Great marketing ploy. Eight different colors of white! Wow.
If anyone has ever found VFT flowers of any color other than white (other than modified by photoshop), I would like to see the photo. 'Red Dragon' flowers have a nice red or pink stigma, but that's about it.
VFTreddragon2052.jpg

Back