What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

There's now a gallery with these and lots more photos under the announcements section on the home page of our website. Text appears on mouseover and then disappears after a few seconds so you have to keep moving the mouse around to read it! We'll have that fixed for the next gallery.
smile_l_32.gif

Will you have plants for sale at Chelsea, Rob? I can't wait for that show...
laugh.gif
Great gallery on your site!!!

Amori

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ Nov. 29 2004,9:52)]Sorry elgecko, I hope he wasn't a relative. I would have tried the kiss of life but he was a bit past it I'm afraid
smile_m_32.gif
That's ok, he was from the wifes side of the family.
smile_n_32.gif

Hey Rob! Wonderful photos! I must fly over sometime in my life to visit the nursury! I do have a question, your N. veitchii highland plant that you are training to jump through hoops, at the show, are they just in coc chips potted in a laundry net basket??? How large are they, the one in the center and just a touch to the left is an enormous green pitcher!

Amori, see you there!  Unfortunately the RHS don't allow sale of plants at Chelsea except on the last hour of the last day, there simply isn't room for sales tables.  You can order plants from Simon though, his details are on our website.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]That's ok, he was from the wifes side of the family.

Ha! Ha! My philosophy on marriage is simple:  Don't get married.  If you are so inclined, then save time by
just finding a woman you don't like and give her your house, car and savings...  
smile_n_32.gif
  Only kidding!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I must fly over sometime in my life to visit the nursury!.
Dustin, you would be very welcome but I'd wait a year or two if I were you, we're just getting started with growing the plants to large size, things should get more spectacular with time.

The N. veitchii are perhaps not as big as the photo might suggest, those are not laundry net baskets, they are only about 12" long so none of those pitchers is really huge, actually N. veitchii doesn't get very large in the wild either.  They are potted in our usual mix of 50/50 cocopeat and chopped husk.  The space betwen the baskets was then filled with a sprinkling of chips to give a level surface on which the pitchers can form but they were repotted very recently, hence the messy appearance. For the purpose of this particular display we don't want the pitchers to be hanging which would happen if the pitchers were allowed to form between pots etc. Tendrils of N. veitchii are particularly stiff and the plants cannot easily be manipulated into different positions when displayed.  We're doing a similar thing with highland N. truncata.  You can see some of them here newly repotted, the old pitchers that we hadn't cut off are all over the place but the new ones are forming nicely upright.

034.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ Nov. 30 2004,10:03)]Ha! Ha! My philosophy on marriage is simple: Don't get married. If you are so inclined, then save time by
just finding a woman you don't like and give her your house, car and savings...
smile_n_32.gif
Only kidding!
I can not complain after 8 1/2 years of marriage. I have to make some bargains, such as, "Honey can I drill another hole in the kitchen ceiling to hang another nepenthes?" Her reply "Only if you paint the bedroom."
Well we both end up happy. The bedroom gets painted and I get a hamata.
smile_n_32.gif

I just go outside and unzip the door to my greenhouse and put in the plant. I'm running out of room though.
biggrin.gif
 The greenhouse is only 8' by 8' and i have wayyyy to many plants, i wouldn't be surprised if they overgrow the place in three years. A kitchen would be much larger, but i don't want Nepenthes pitchers dropping off in to my dinner.
smile_m_32.gif

I'd like to fly over there two, but i think i'll take your advice and wait a year. Then i'll come over and teach you a few things about Nepenthes. Oops, reverse that, ok. I also have to like N.veitchii, but i'll have to get a lowland variety, i have more room in my stovehouse.
biggrin.gif

Wow I'm speechless. Thanks for sharing!
How big is the nursery? (m2)
smile_k_ani_32.gif

Rob ,did you even covert the swimimg pool at the high land nursery
smile_n_32.gif
or did you build that to create a micro climate ,shelter from wind ,higher humidity etc

I'm with Tony! That truncata x copelandii is awesome!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NepenthesMaster @ Nov. 30 2004,9:33)]I also have to like N.veitchii, but i'll have to get a lowland variety, i have more room in my stovehouse.
is there really a truely lowland or highland veitchii? my impression was that veitchii is a intermediate and all forms will tolerate most anything. i have a supposidly highland form that is doing well as a intermediate with warm days and slightly less warm nights, i doubt it ever sees temps above 80 or below 60 degrees F.

to bad N. x trusmadiensis isnt really availible, it looks to be one of the better hybrids.

014.jpg
Cool pictures! What is that? Sort of sad...

Don't worry Travis, to tell the truth this guy was saved, I was just teasing El -gecko earlier.  Geckos are all over the place here and if they get into the nurseries, they get eaten.  This one was found in time in a newly opened pitcher and I helped him out.  You can see from the streaks near his right leg that he was doing the breast stroke!  I like geckos really but there are a lot of them in the pitchers, usually rther decomposed.

Sheridan, N. veitchii has a wide altitudinal distribution from near seal level right on up to several thousand feel.  There is a truly lowland form (which we no longer grow) that has green pitchers and longer leaves than the highland form.  It's true that you can probably grow all of them in intermediate conditions but I know that the highland form doesn't do well in the lowlands.

I was thinking of buying a cheap gecko or something and feeding it to a Nep that hasn't eaten anthing recently. Or maybe a mouse.

Our big N. hookeriana has caught frogs before, and khasiana will trap a lizard every now and then. Vertibrate meals are not recommended because they stink after a short while.

Trent

thanks for the clarification Rob, i wasnt clear on that.

Rattler

NM,

You would certainly get more out of a dollar with a dozen crickets compared to a mouse, AFA food value.
Seeing how you are in California, you could probably save the $$ and catch some bugs.

Cheers,

Joe

Geckos are cute and we can not save everyone but at least a few...unlike bugs.
smile_m_32.gif

Back